Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When Rescue Goes Wrong

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by Ann, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Oh my. Poor Piper.

Now we know why I travel with the dog's full shot record and registration papers plus 75 pix in my phone.

And for those of you laughing (not really -- maybe smirking) at my bling collars . . . did we not notice a tag/a microchip tag/ AND sandwiched in between is what? the county license! Just short of tattoos, I tell you. At home, in the yard, away from home, in the classroom . . .

The Piper Precedent is now a problem for us all.

2. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    According to this article, they are funding the lawyer (which if his rates are anywhere near Veronica's lawyer are upwards of 35k now.) And it ain't over yet. However, that lawyer is also involved with that woman and the case of cleaning out her deceased friend's bank account (according to the son in the Daily Kos article).

3. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    What amazes me is that how many people support the rescue woman. This is so upsetting to me and Why did not the court like momtomelli said send some one from the court system or an officer to pick up Piper and place her out of harms way. My heart just breaks for Piper.

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for posting the newest information on Piper.
    This is agonizing to have to wait another month!
    Why, why, why are the judges not forcing the issue of producing Piper to show she is alive and safe!!!

God help us all if this ever happens to us! If all the evidenced already produced is not enough to prove ownership God help us all!!!

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Wow. I saw the thread active and actually dreaded opening it. This is just nuts. Let the dog go home.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    There are no reasons...certainly none that make sense. This whole situation is beyond baffling. And I fear that we won't see much action Oct. 24 either since it's just a pretrial hearing. I keep wondering where Piper actually is. It must be killing poor Veronica not to know. I do hope the judge makes them actually produce the dog!

8. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    I am no lawyer, and gosh knows, the MORAL thing to do is give the dog back to the original owner. i myself probably would have invested in a pair of wire cutters and reclaimed my dog and been prepared to be arrested for it. But legally, where are we with this? Once a dog is impounded in Ohio, who is the legal owner? How many days wait are required by ordinance before an animal can be released to a rescue, or adopted? At what point are the legal rights of the owner to their property severed? These are the real issues of the case IMHO.

9. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Brad, I would have to ask my friend (dog warden ) to be 100% sure but I believe you have 3 days (99% sure) to claim your dog before it becomes property of the shelter. They can then release the dog for adoption or to a rescue.

I too am hoping Piper gets returned, but I have this feeling the dog isn't even in Ohio anymore. :(

10. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    I expect you are right. There are some factions that I suspect are at play here that are very much against dog breeders and exhibitors that have probably squirreled the dog to some undisclosed location and are just as adamant about not giving the dog back because they think it is "animal cruelty" to do so.