Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Edan not eating... sort of

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Silaria, Mar 3, 2010.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Me neither! But I guess it's something to consider. It may not be the cause of Edan's problems, but it's something to bring up to the vet.

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    This sounds a little like what my landlords Standard Poodle did. She refused all kibble, no matter how it was prepared, or what was added to it.

She started feeding the dog raw chicken (with the skin and fat cut off), and the dog has been happily eating raw ever since. Might be something to look into. The vet will have a hissy fit, but they get over it.

Some of the items you are describing sound like there might be a bacterial overgrowth going on. Google "SIBO" and dogs.

3. Herd4fun

Herd4fun Forums Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2010
    New York(Not the city)
    If your willing to do raw I really would check out Sojos, they have a complete formula that all you do is mix the food and water and bam, raw food, they also have the options of mix the food water and meat for different types of meat than the turkey one. Plus vets have less of an issue with that because your still feeding something commercially available and approved by the Canadian dog food people side note, 1lb of sojos = like 6lbs of kibble so thats why the bags are so pricey. cost per meal is about the same as ToTW and the such though.

4. SheltieGuy

SheltieGuy Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2009
    Schuylkill County, PA
    there are a lot of one protein foods out there.. (fromm) being one of them..

f you want to try Halo here is a coupon for 2 free cans.http://www.halopets.com/

hope Edan is feeling better soon.

5. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Update

Well - I talked to my vet.

Her opinion is he may have Gastritis again. (He had a case of this as a pup shortly after being neutered.) She's prescribing Flagyl, the medication he was on the last time and it worked, for 10 days.

She said if this doesn't help, he may have Inflammatory Bowel Disease. We'd have to do some additional testing to confirm that if the Flagyl doesn't help. If those results came back positive, then he'd have to be on a hypoallergenic diet and medication for the rest of his life. :( Here's hoping the Flagyl works because Edan's only 3 years old.

I was also told to keep him on the Eagle Pack food for now but supplement it with white rice, pumpkin, sweet potato or wheat free pasta - basically some sort of starch. This will help keep the variables we are looking at to minimum. Throwing a new food into the mix at this point will just make it harder to pinpoint the issue.

She's going to leave extensive notes of our discussion and plan of attack for this issue for the vet that saw him a week ago since she'll be out on Maternity for the next few months.

I love my vet because she really is very patient about answering questions until you are comfortable with the situation.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Right now, I think Edan, his Dad (Celtic Fire) and I just need some prayers that we find the cause of this problem and heal whatever has his digestive system in an uproar.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    keeping my fingers crossed that flagyl does the trick. Bailey took flagyl when she was having stomach issues too. It worked really fast.

I hope he gets some relief soon.

7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Poor baby. I don't want him to have to eat garbage food either. :no: Just the idea of Science Diet irritates me. Sawdust, corn, and floor sweepings, no meat, and $2.50 per pound. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1078&cat=all

It always makes me twitch when people want to complicate the diet of a dog who is already not digesting properly. Giving him antibiotics, putting him on a horrible food, and adding grains and fiber that he can't digest don't seem to me to be the way to a healthy gut. The less it has to deal with, the better.

I highly recommend that you join the Yahoo!Groups "rawfeeding" and "K9nutrition" and search through the archives for IBD. Many, many people there have basically cured their dogs of all symptoms by switching to a prey model raw diet. There is a ton of knowledge and experience there, and people who have had dogs with the same symptoms that are now well controlled. Also, the list owner at K9nutrition has a website www.b-naturals.com. She sells some supplements, but go through and read the newsletters, they are really good.

Just out of curiosity, is your dog at all shy? I know another dog going through the same thing, (with an owner who would rather feed $2.50 per pound sawdust, and spend $250 per month on tests than try raw for a month), and her dog is fairly shy. She took the dog for acupuncture, and he told her that digestion issues are common in shy dogs.

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Excellent that you got to talk to your vet. I was thinking it could be more of an inflammation problem. Flagyl should also sort out any type of bacterial overgrowth that occured from the diet switches. Better approach then switching to every diet under the sun and adding tons of variables. BTW As a vet I have no problem with raw as long as you do homework just like any other diet.

Hopefully this straigthens things out of the poor little guy. Prayers for a full speedy recovery.:smile2:

9. SheltieGuy

SheltieGuy Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2009
    Schuylkill County, PA
    fingers and paws crossed here too... my departed Angel was on Hills C/D for years and it was horrible.... (this was before i knew it was horrible) or i wouldnt have allowed it.... I pray your pup wont have to take any prescription foods and everything works itself out.

10. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Well we will most certain keep Edan & the whole family in our prayers.It is a good thing you consulted with your vet.Especially since he has had problems before.
    I hope the flagyl does the trick,I know it works for me when I was in hospital last March with colon issues.

Keeping you close in thought & prayer~