Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Yearling discovers sheep poop ...

Discussion in 'Herding & Tracking' started by 2GoodDogs, Apr 9, 2012.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    My young 'un, Justus, 14 months old went to the round pen. Probably the 4th time in his life, and previously he was so interested in the sheep. Then this time, last Saturday, he would chase them a little but kept heading to the steamy piles and enjoying a snack.

I wasn't real sure what to do about that ...

I guess young dog's interest will come and go? What should I be looking for in trying to decide if precious resources (time and money) should be spent in developing his our skills?

http://youtu.be/8FLcO2nxP2o

2. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ah he looked so puppy brained! Yea sheep herding is fun, hey whats that poop?(aka shiney object) and then back. :lol:

Really not to sure how develop interest and when one knows when not to go on. What did the instructor say?

We took Diva out last summer and she ate sheep poop for several minutes and then notice the sheep and that was all it took. Never got back out because of life happening. Hope to this summer with her and the young boy.

BTW I am not sure I have ever told you but when I look at the way Justus moves he reminds me alot of Porter(Diva's son) Porter ended up being 17" tall but was a really nice moving boy in the ring. I loved that boy's front.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Dixie's first trip to see sheep- she was all about the poo. don't think she even noticed the sheep. then she saw Cran running around the sheep- we put him in and made her stay outside and watch:pop. well, she wanted to get back in and do it then....:yes:

4. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    The instructor was complimentary and said he would like to work with us. It is a little more than an hour each way, and the lessons themselves are not too awful, the added gas and time makes them a bit pricey for my pocket. Once a month is all I can afford, 8 weeks better, however can a dog make progress going that infrequently?

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    once a month is ok- I was told if we can't go at least once a month, then we might want to rethink.

Only an hour- I'm so jealous. we are signed up for a workshop at the end of May- at least 1.5 hours but much closer than the 3 hr trip to the first place that we went. that is too hard for us to do on any regular basis.....

6. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Justus is a fun sheltie, and a very handsome guy. He is a joy to watch. I watched his video thought it was very cool. I also watched his novice one also. Well he had me in tears running down my face laughing so hard. You were talking about sheep poo, but in this video the gal who was standing at attention when you brought Justus around, smelled her butt twice.

Justus you made my night, omg sheep poo, well that gal's butt must have stunk too. That just struck me, that I am still laughing. He did a great job in the class. That little add on, oh he is just a darling sheltie, even if he eats poo and smells butts. Full of personality.

Love to watch the shelties work. Great video.

7. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    We have are own sheep and I take Merlin up regularly and yep, for a time sheep poo really attracted him. To be honest, my solution is let 'em gorge themselves on the stuff, I found with my two (sheltie and labrador) that they eventually got bored and took more interest in the sheep.

Same happened with the guinea pig poo in the hutches. First time Cadbury saw it he couldn't get enough, so I let him, next time he was like 'oh, that stuff again.'

As long as the sheep are regularly wormed (which all sheep should be if kept responsibly) then really there isn't a problem - well, except the resulting bowel movements from all the fibre!

Of course, I have the benefit of being able to go to the sheep field whenever I please, during the course of a lesson it is harder to feel good about letting a dog indulge as you want to get on with things.

A new theory on poo eating is that some dogs like the stimulation of different textures that is lacking in a complete dog food. By feeding 'extras' to a dog, like fruit and vegetables, bones and even the odd healthy leftover, this fulfils that need and they are less bothered about eating poo.

Both my guys have a varied diet and can even walk passed a pile of horse poo on the beach with only a cursory sniff.:wink2:

8. bwibwigouza

bwibwigouza Forums Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2011
    BC, Canada
    Well, I got ducks....Mozart IS interested in chasing them and herding them but he's also very much into the poo...except he doesn't want to just sniff the poo...he wants to WEAR it! :ick