Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Metacam needed

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Daleford, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Daleford

Daleford Forums Regular

Jan 29, 2009
    My 10 year old sheltie has a limp about twice a year. I give him Metacam for a day or so and the problem goes away for 6 months. I am out of Metacam and the vet won't sell me more till she sees him. So I pay $50 for her to tell me what I already know, then another $50 for the drug! - they are working me.
    I just searched E-bay for a source but I see none.
    I remember comparing prices somewhere on line for Metacam in the past.
    Where can I order it?

2. Daleford

Daleford Forums Regular

Jan 29, 2009
    Wow, does no one come here anymore?

3. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Sorry - I read your post but have no suggestions for you so I didn't bother with a reply. Good luck in your search.

4. Daleford

Daleford Forums Regular

Jan 29, 2009
    No problem. I found Petmeds but found better prices at Medi-Vet
    Medicine is on its way.

5. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    I read your post, but I'm not really a big fan of people trying to get prescription meds for their pet without a prescription. How does that even work? Don't the online pharmacies still require a prescription.

Your vet is trying to do something besides scam you out of $50. He/She is trying to monitor the health of your dog and make sure the medication is administered properly.

6. PamG

PamG Forums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    My pom takes the same med. Metacam can negatively affect kidneys. I assume that your vet, like mine, would be monitoring through blood tests, etc.
    Best of luck,
    Pam and Sunny and Snow

7. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Sorry, but Metacam (meloxicam) is prescription only in the US. I use it routinely in my human patients....

8. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    The anti-inflammatory drugs can be hard on the dogs & people too. That's why they're monitored. I used Rimadyl for Anabel for her arthritis & after her FHO. The vet was more concerned about getting her off the Rimadyl ASAP than the Tramadol because they said the Rimadyl was more of a problem with affecting the body. I do use online pharmacies to get most meds but a lot of vets will pricematch the lower prices if you ask. They want to be sure your pet is healthy all the way around & that the meds aren't fixing 1 problem & causing another.

9. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I responded after you posted, but for some reason my webpage keeps crashing on the site after I hit submit reply.

Anyway, I was going to suggest petmeds with a valid prescription.

I highly recommend monitoring the internal functions when on Metacam. It ended up affecting my setters kidneys, and Shelties are prone to kidney problems without adding metacam to the list.