Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Moving. How hard will this be for Fasb?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Nov 15, 2013.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I'm an accountant by trade as well, but now a pet store owner so LIFO and FIFO still have meaning to me.

Sometimes I think I should have renamed Indy as LIFO.....he drives me so crazy sometimes with his infernal territorial barking! :gaah

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I've uprooted my dog two times already and I'm sure there will be more moves. She's handled it like a champ. Not only did we move, but no one else who lived with us moved. I'm her "person", so she doesn't care where she is as long as I'm there. We spend some weekends at my parents' house, she's stayed at my boyfriend's house, she used to live with other dogs at some point.

Every dog is different. I know my parents' dogs freak out when they go out of the house. I'm lucky that my dog doesn't seem to care where we live as long as I'm with her.

Some tips for moving... If you can, bring your dog to your new place for a visit or two before he official lives there. Unpack and have your new place ready to go before your dog will permanetly live there. And Try to keep your dog's routine as similar as possible.

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

And back to original post.....After my husband and I separated, Timber, my then sheltie, went back and forth between my ex-husbands place and mine....usually following the kids with their "Dad" time. He had no problem at all adapting. It just became the new routine.

Years later, after Timber died and I got Indy and Bacca, I moved into a new home. The day of the move, I had my friend keep them for the day. Then brought them home, showed them where their food was and at bed time, brought them onto the bed with me as usual. No fuss! Yeah they sniffed our corners but no big deal.

Ultimately, as long as they are going to me living mostly with their "alpha" - which I assume is you, then all should be fine. And even if not, Shelties are pretty adaptable.

4. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I agree with what the others have said, sounds like you are doing all the right things at all the right times. Fasb sure is a lucky boy to have such thoughtful, caring humans. I did similar with my Bambi when we had to move, and it is true that they don't too much care where that is so long as it is safe, warm and you are there too. Good luck with the move and know that Fasb will transition well.

5. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    That's funny. I hate to say it, but I remember FILO, FIFO from my college days of Financial Accounting classes. Yuck.

At least now I'm pronouncing his name correctly. :)

6. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Sounds like Fasb will have lots of family around. Honestly, as long as they have that one main person, people come, people go. I can say this as I've been in/out too many relationships to count, lived with my folks, lived alone, live with men, etc. I've also moved almost every year that I had Miko, so let's just say, at least 10-12 times I've moved. As long as he's with me, he was fine.

I think he'll be fine. Like it has been said, uprooting him completely from one person to another (as in adoption) is what unsettles them the most. Being the main person and uprooting the dogs home/house, not as bad. Even when Fasb loses people in his life, he'll adjust, because he has you as an anchor.

Oh, I will say this. At one point, I was putting the dogs in daycare for the move, so they'd be out of the way. However, I had brought them to the empty new place, told them we'll be moving. Then brought them to the empty old place, told them we're leaving, then to the new place with stuff in the house and told them this is our new house. Honestly, they did great. Even if I didn't show them all the places, I think they would have been fine. Just show them where their beds are, and where the water is, and I think they'll find their new favorite spots. It may not be where you place their bed though, LOL. Personally, throwing them in daycare was the easiest on me because they were out of the way. I moved my boys 1,000 miles with a 16 hour car trip and they did great! Sniffed around the new place, found some spots, saw the water, and they seemed okay. Tired, but okay.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  7. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    As long as a dog named EBITA doesn't show up on the boards, we'll all be okay.:lol:

8. ute_fan

ute_fan Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    That made me chuckle! Of course, if you heard that name, you'd probably just assume they were saying Evita!

9. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Yeah, we were planning to do this. Fasb has already been to the new place and I'm going to take him over at least a couple more times to let him get acquainted to the neighborhood. Wife's not throwing my stuff on the lawn or anything, so I'll have time to get the place ready and comfortable before we move in. It doesn't look like we'll move before Thanksgiving.

(Off-topic, I've never been separated or divorced before, so I'm a little weirded out by how civil this is proceeding. Wife isn't bitter or angry or in a hurry to get me out, even thinks it's ok if I stay until the holidays are over since all the family will be in. It's all very..... businesslike. And, honestly, I'm realizing I'm not as bothered by that as I probably should be)
    -

10. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    All I can say is that sometimes it is that way. Both parties act like grown ups. My parent's divorce was very civilized. To the extent that they even used the same lawyer.

About Fasb- thanks for clarifying how his name is pronounced- I was going to ask too. About moving, I'm pretty certain he'll be fine. I've moved with my animals before and they were always just like, "Oh. Okay- Hi Mom!" We were a bit worried about moving Brodie and Casey in together, but they were fine together. We were also worried about our cats, because Nick's cat Boo was a bully. Well, Boo puffed up and growled at my ancient black cat Merlin. Merlin just went POW! And hit him with a left hook that could be heard across the room. Boo shook his head and was far less of a bully from that point on.:biggrin2: