Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Potty Training Issues

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by clhechler, May 12, 2014.

1. clhechler

clhechler Forums Novice

May 12, 2014
    East Texas
    I have an almost 7 month of Sheltie. She was doing well being potty trained when I lived at my house, however, my husband and I recently separated and I moved to an apartment.

Ever since the move my sheltie (Macy) refuses to go to the bathroom outside. She stays in her crate when I am at work and when I come home to give her breaks and take her out any time she won't go. As soon as we come back inside the house she goes in the floor.

Any ideas on what to do? I don't want to get ride of her but can't have her using the bathroom on the carpet all the time either.

Any tips, tricks or idea would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    What I would try is to really clean the carpet with a pet odor eliminator.

As for the dog, I would plan to take longer walks when you let her out, taking your time so she has every opportunity to go.

I wish you well.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I would go back to housebreaking 101. When she isn't being watched like a hawk, she should be in her crate. Take her out to go to the bathroom, but don't spend more than 5 minutes. Encourage her using whatever word you use "hurry" or "go potty". If you get nothing, bring her back inside and either tether her to you with a leash, or put her back in her crate.

If she does go, have a HUGE party complete with treats and play. Then she can have free access of the house for a bit.

4. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Also, get her scent outside. Take the rag or whatever you are cleaning up with outside and rub it onto the ground in a certain spot. ALWAYS take her directly to that spot. Since there is also a split in her young life, there may be a bit of stress you don't even recognize. And also- yes, back to potty training 101. Crate until pee. And get a neutralizer (Nature's Miracle, Odo Ban, something like that.) Hose that carpet down- it might have doggie scents you can't even smell, but she can.

5. clhechler

clhechler Forums Novice

May 12, 2014
    East Texas
    I'll definitely give those a try. This apartment has new carpet in it so I know she's the only dog here. It's also a dark color so I'm having a hard time finding everywhere that she's going to clean it. I guess I'll get a carpet cleaner shampoo thing.

She was in her crate while I was at work last night. When I got home I took her out and she wouldn't go. Put her back up and at breakfast and took her out again and she didn't do. Put her put and watched TV for a bit. Took her back out and she went twice out side so I let her have run of the apartment for a little bit and within 3 minutes she had gone in the floor again!

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Hmm...have you run a urinalysis at the vet's? 3 times in a 5 minutes span seems excessive. I'd rule out a UTI before determining 100% that it's behavioral.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

This is a pretty good suggestion. That is the pee smell....

I find when I brought my boys to the store they would never pee out there because there were too many pee smells already.

8. clhechler

clhechler Forums Novice

May 12, 2014
    East Texas
    Ill add both of these things to my list of things to do! Thank y'all so much