Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Incontinent puppy

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by biowicks, Apr 9, 2012.

1. biowicks

biowicks Forums Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2012
    Michigan
    Olive is 5 months old, and was doing all of her urinating on her wee wee pad. The last week or so there have been some major puddles on the floor, and today my husband thinks she went in her sleep as she was asleep in a puddle in the afternoon. She has been getting really good at going outside, but as we can't be around every minute, we've left the wee wee pad there for emergencies. She just had her pre-spay check up and blood work, and everything was normal. She doesn't seem to drink an excessive amount. She does lap up quite a bit if she's been outside running around, but otherwise it seems to me that she is drinking normally. Any ideas what's happening here?

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I recommend bringing a urine sample to the vet to test for a urinary tract infection. It's preferable to catch her first pee of the day before she eats or drinks. If you can't bring it to the vets until later in the day, then leave it in the refrigerator.

My puppy had a few UTI's when she was younger. I thought she was just not understanding housebreaking. I figured it out when she peed in her crate while she was eating.

At 5 months old, Olive should be able to hold her urine for 5-6 hours, so she shouldn't need wee wee pads.

If you're not home then crate her. Most dogs don't like to make where they have to eat and eat...unless they have a UTI and can't help it.

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    To get a sample, use a soup ladle, large plastic serving spoon, or the vet suggested a small kid's plastic shovel you get at the dollar store. Have fun trying to get a sample. I just went through that with Natters, and because she squats so low it was difficult. Hope you can get a sample to the vet's quickly and find out the reason for the wetting.

4. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    Poor baby sorry she is going through all that! Here's hoping its nothing but potty training regression. :fl

5. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Sounds like it could be a UTI...Id have a urine sample checked by the vet...especially if your planning to spay her, id hold off until things were back under control.

As far as the wee pads. Ditch them. She doesnt need them shes 5 months old. Shelties are not toy breed dogs she (barring no UTI) should be holding her urine atleast 5 hrs.

6. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Definitely check for UTI at the vet. Buffy had UTI's twice around that age. I think a few other girl puppies on the forum had them too.

Actually that was when I knew she was getting the idea of potty training. She whined when she went in her pen and seemed so embarrassed and uncomfortable.

If it is a UTI the vet will put her on a drug that should clear it up quickly. It's a pretty easy fix. Usually after they are spayed it clears up completely.

7. sgtfrog

sgtfrog Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2012
    South Korea
    When Milli was 4 months old ( shes now 5) we thought she was near 100% potty trained ( this is after over a month of always peeing on the pee pads and doing her business exactly where she needed to with no messes). Out of No where she started to pee ALOT more than she used to and would also pee on the floor ( not her pee pads). I thought she was maybe Incontinent or had a UTI. The excessive peeing lasted 2-3 days and went away but she was still peeing in the wrong spots. Really not sure why she was peeing too much... If it didn't sort itself out I would have gone to the Vets asap.

Anyways Turned out to be nothing more than Milli being stubborn. We basically had to show her where to pee again. Giving her a snack when she peed in the right spot. After a few snacks she was pee trained Again HAHA. I think she was just getting comfortable around the house. who knows. At 5 months old she now holds her pee all through the night 8 hours or so and during the day she pees every few hours or so on the pee pad.

if you're really worried Just bring her to the vet with a sample of her pee to get it checked.

good luck figuring out whats wrong with her.