Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Behaviors you allow

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by corbinam, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    yes, I call it picking my battles, lol
    Very similar to what's already been said, I manage most of it
    One of the main things is that Toffee isn't the greatest leash walker, we have come to a compromise I can live with, LOL
    I give him the more leash and he won't PULL, but has the leash taught. Not pulling my socket out just always walks at the end of it, however much leash I give him, lol. I stopped obsessing over it and it got better! I am way more relaxed, because when I see my friend always and forever correcting and TRYING to be training her dog to NOT pull to get ahead of her, the walk isn't relaxing anymore at all for me nor the dogs
    So that's my biggest compromise, not bothering with loose leash walking so much lol

2. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I let Buffy nip at her leash. She does it when she's excited, when she wants to go faster, and when we're heading home. It's like she's walking herself.

She started doing it when she was a puppy and I thought it was adorable, so I let her get away with it. And I continue to do that. It's even worse when she's not wearing a harness. She has chewed up 3 leashes, but ah well, there are more important things in training.

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Are you kidding? Indy and Bacca rule this house!

I've long since given up! Sheltie's rule!

4. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    OMG I love this one. Oh shoot, I have to ask Lil' Lady. Sorry she is resting on the patio I can't disturb her, and Lucky is right by her side.

According to them on a daily basis, there are no mistakes, and they do everything that I would desire. :rolleyes2:

5. Jaynie

Jaynie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas, Georgia
    Neechee, my obedience dog, was a championship competitive barker. He also attacked the vacuum cleaner. After he was retired from trials, and he and I went to live with my parents, he pretty much did whatever he pleased. My mom and I were always clashing about "discipline". She spoiled him rotten, laughed when he barked, and vacuumed the floor while holding him. (He was very tiny.) Since I was kind of dependent on my parents at that point due to serious health issues, I pretty much had to put up with a lot of what I would consider bad behaviors to keep the peace. My parents grew up in the country (as did I), where "yard dogs" are the norm. My parents are NOT indoor dog people! I was so grateful that they allowed me to bring him to live with us that I tolerated a lot that I wouldn't have five years earlier.

I kind of lucked out with Bela. She's not a big barker. She is very predictable - she'll usually have two barking episodes a day, and only when she's excited and no other humans are in the house. She's mostly playing when she barks (poor girl hasn't quite figured out what to do with toys yet). But she does calm down when told to.

One of my biggest problems with her is her pooping location preferences. We don't have a fenced yard so both dogs are walked on flexi's. I usually stand out on the deck, and they run around in the yard. Bela hates tall grass, rain, and wet ground and will try to sneak back up on the deck behind me and poop there while I'm occupied trying to persuade Gracie that she doesn't need to climb the wood pile. I usually don't reprimand her for this, because frankly, it's my fault (operator error) for not paying enough attention.

But for the most part, Bela came to us with excellent manners. She's very sedate and ladylike most of the time.

6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I allow Spitfire to try my patience.... often

7. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I confess... I like him up on the counter when I fix my snacks... he just wants a taste... :eek:

I like him jumping up on my, those stragetically placed muddy paw prints accentuate the obvious! :eek:

Oh what barking? I lost my hearing a few years ago when Bobby arrived.

8. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    Sometimes in the middle of the night Pebbles jumps on me and scratches frantically because she really needs to go pee. Its cool because it rarely happens but it HURTS and its not a cool way to be waken up. But I would rather her tell me then not...

9. bwibwigouza

bwibwigouza Forums Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2011
    BC, Canada
    Barking seems to be the common thing here. Mozart isn't really a barker unless my nephew and niece (they are Mozart's crazy sheeps) start playing really loudly or runs around the house. I've long gave up trying to quiet him. It's a lost battle. There's also the short barks when I'm preparing his meal. He knows to keep quiet whenever I stop or looks at him. So it's really hard to train him to keep quiet for the entire time. Other then that, everything else is still work in progress!

10. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Geez, where to start!

Sadie thinks she's a guard dog, so she barks at every sound she hears. This sucks because not only do we live on a busier side street, we also live across the street from a park. She's doing better since I stopped allowing her to look out the window.

Ginny is a bossy, insecure little dog who constantly tries to bully and control the other dogs. Its an ongoing struggle to keep her from controlling everything from toys, food, play time, attention, etc. For example, She'll drive Sadie crazy biting her and trying to steal the ball when I play fetch with Sadie, when Ginny has no real interest in playing fetch or with the ball to begin with. If I give all three of them a bone, all the same size, Ginny becomes too preoccupied with stealing the other dog's bones to eat her own. If she does steal one of their bones when I'm not looking, it will only keep her interest for a minute or two, before she's trying to steal someone else's bone again, often the one she just gave up. :gaah

Toby easily gets away with the most because he's SUCH a clown. Toby jumps up, but he does so in a very cute, endearing way. He ever so gently places his front paws on your legs and reach up with his head for a cuddle. I discourage it with strangers, but find it way to cute train him out of it.

He's also a brat in the back yard. He'll run in the garden, knowing perfectly well he shouldn't, pretend to ignore me when I reprimand him (he watches me from the corner of his eye), then run away in a fit of zoomies when I approach. I swear he laughs at me as he play bows, barks, then zooms around. How am I supposed to break him of that when I'm doubled over laughing? :lol: