Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

California Members...any info on shelties rescued from fire in Riverside??

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by dmeyer123, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I sorta agree with this. Unfortunately this whole situation has been confusing. First the dogs were in great conditions, then they're bringing up animal cruelty charges. I keep sitting on my hands waiting for all the facts to come out.

The difference in this situation is that Ms. Brinkley lives on the other side of the county in Virginia. I know people can be dishonest and sneaky, but I feel the likelihood of this dog getting back to the other owner is very small. Could the shelter draw up a legally binding contract that the dog in question goes into Ms. Brinkley's custody, and nowhere else? IDK. I remember reading on the forum in the past that the contracts breeders use can be almost impossible to enforce.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I think the shelters are more afraid the animal (s) are going to be bred, shown, or sold.

Unless the contract is enforceable on the spot by reclaiming the animal with the contract in hand and a form of legal enforcement, I don't know how it can be resolved unless the shelter becomes willing.

While there is not much most of us can do, what can we all learn so we can protect our own dogs?

Chip your dogs and register the chips.
    Make sure there is nothing that can be considered "neglect/cruelty" such as dental care, fleas/ticks, nail care, and grooming.
    Keep copies of data on each animal, including full walk around photos, in a fireproof safe or safe deposit box.
    License each dog with your county.
    Make sure your vet maintains thorough records -- keep copy of all those yourself in the safe.
    Take extra measures to make sure your animal never lands in a shelter.
    Maintain frequent contact and records on puppies you have sold if you offer to take the dog back, place yourself as breeder as the 2nd contact or co-owner on the microchip and registration papers (but watch out that also can present some liability).

The days of a dog with a metal tag put out in the backyard while you worked all day and escapees getting picked back up at the shelter for a fee are dwindling. Watch, learn, and be paranoid because paranoid usually is protected.

3. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Quite frankly, I don't really believe this is the case. I think it is a case of arrogant rescues and/or shelters realizing the difficulty an owner will have in getting his/her original contract provisions upheld by the legal system. The well being of the dog MAY be at the center of the dispute, but if that were true, why the subtrefuge about: "We can't i.d. the correct dog?" IMO, it's a case of "We got 'em, we're keeping 'em!"

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    . . . out of the hands of the evil horrible demonic breeders.

It's not about making sure someone is a responsible breeder tending to their own, for getting the dog out of the overburdened system where animals are killed for lack of space, for making sure the dog lands in the best hands to rehabilitate him/her, it's not even about money (as these breeders are willing to pay whatever over and above in this case).

It's the AR agenda to get animals away from any and all breeders. Not all shelters or rescue groups would do this, many would.