Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Should we consider a Sheltie?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by bekalm, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Based on the Collies I have met, a good collie and a good sheltie are closer than most people admit. Shelties motor tend to rev alittle higher and they tend to be more one family dogs and not as overall excepting of strangers then Collies. Collies tend to be a bit lazier and slower workers but I have met some Collies that put shelties to shame with their work ethic.

I really don't think there is an age limit. It really is the individual dog. Genetics play a huge role in that. I know many shelties who even as an adult would adjust just fine to new environment and 4 month old puppies who never adjust. I got one at 6 months and he never come out of his shell and adjusted that well. I believe it was genetic temperment and a lack of early socialization. . I suggestion is met the dog and see how he interacts with you and make the decision at hat point. If you don't like what you see don't take the dog. Unless I am looking for a project I am not one to take the dog that won't even interact with me(and I have taking on projects it is tough work)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    My experience with Collies and Shelties mimics everyone else's on here.

The Collies are more laid back, but they have all gotten along well. Many of our foster families have multiple Collies and Shelties living together in harmony. (And most of the dogs from both breeds are rescues, with varied pasts.)

Gender doesn't seem to be an issue with these two breeds, as compared to some other breeds.

My Shelties have shared their home with Collies, Corgis, Labs, JRT's, Poms and have gotten along well with them all . . . with one exception . . . a chi/dachshund mix:uhoh:

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm assuming when you say Collie you mean Rough from what others are saying, it's just that over here Collie tends to mean Border Collie.

I think for his first couple of years my male Sheltie thought he was a Rough Collie, he certainly gravitates to the breed. And I must say that most female Collies seem to be very taken with him, not sure if it's because of his size - maybe they like their males small.

Collies and Shelties are very similar in personality, just a little more of the higher energy stuff. Shelties are kind of like a cross b/w a Rough and Border Collie when it comes to temperament. I tell people the difference is Roughs are bred to lay on a hill regally over-looking their flock, whereas Shelties were bred to chase wild sheep up windy cliffs and birds from the crops.

Where I live Shelties are more out-going and friendly than Roughs. And yes boys do seem to have a tendancy to be more clingy. Altho I'd say they are mamma's boys they can just as easily gravitate to a male. So there is a chance a sheltie could still gravitate toward your husband - his wayward sheep when he comes home.