Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Lil' Lady Ran Her To The Vet

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by sable, Apr 2, 2014.

1. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Here she has a spot not even as big as a dime by her anus. It didn't smell like Lucky, a dead fish hanging out of his butt. Here it is an anal gland. I am not a vet and I sure couldn't figure out this mystery. It was an explosion from a small spot.

Last night that thing bled, so I cleaned it up and put an antibiotic cream on her. Then the vet gave her a shot and antibiotics today.
    Next thing we got to talking about her and I told him I thought she might have thyroid problem. Well she does, low count thyroid.

Between Lucky and Lil' Lady I look like I am running a pharmacy. The vet told me she would be great after taking these pills. Well I hope so. Not a great day, and it sure was an April Fool. I never expected all of this but my gut told me to run her now to the vet. I knew it wasn't something for the emergency room, but why does these things happen at night? My inquiring mind wants to know sooner then waiting the next day.

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Your vet is right about the thyroid - they do have to take the pills every day for the rest oftheir lives, but it is not expensive medication and very quickly you have a new dog. More energy, they can lose any excess weight.

With the anal gland thing, make sure you feed a high quality kibble so her poop is firm and well formed, so that shoul help the situation. Some dogs just need to go into have them expressed periodically.

Good luck, hope you have a better night.

3. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Just for your information. Give the meds every 12 hours, 1 hour before food or 3 hours after. Try to be religious about this. I discovered this the hard way. Tinsel was really good when I was but during the renovations I had become lax and he got it either 1/2 hour late or a treat during the fast time. He started growling at the work crew each and every time they came through the door. To say I was getting worried doesn't describe it! I thought I should try a week of going back to doing it right and presto, he went back to his old self. Surprising as it usually take about 4 weeks before you see a change in health or behaviour. Dr. Dodd says that she often discovers that vets are not giving good instruction about this med and dogs end up getting higher and higher doses. Thought I would share my experience. BTW, my vet has sent the prescription for synthroid to my drug store. It saves me about $40/year and the gas to drive the 45 minutes there and back to his practice. He charged me one dispensing fee of $10 for a year's script.

4. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks for the advice I will be very cautious. First anal problem ever but it was a blessing for the thyroid problem to be found.

It seems like thyroid problem is very common in shelties. Is it common or is it genetic?

The vet and I started talking about food, and I said Lil' Lady just doesn't gobble and eat crazy. She wears me out watching her, she takes food in her mouth, walks away and eats, comes back and does the same thing over and over. Knowing Lady like I do, I think this came about when she was with her litter. I am going to eat in peace.

Thinking about food, I had to assume she is gaining weight for a reason.

Thanks again, and this is why I cherish this board. Through posters we learn so much from everyones' experiences.

((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))