Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Winter and Paws

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by k9kreationz, Nov 7, 2013.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    So the other day, it dropped below 30 and the grass froze. When I went outside, it was 31. Brr. I froze. Koji? He wanted to keep walking. Now it's about 40 and windy. The wind blows and Koji looks like he's in heaven. He really does have a spring in his step (and he wants to chase the leaves).

I guess this dog really wants to be in the cold like other Shelties. Unlike Miko, who loved the warmth. LOL. Like I said, Miko was a non-Sheltie, I guess I need to remember that Koji is "more" Sheltie and will enjoy the cold.

So now I feel stupid asking about booties. However, good to know if they put down salt and to keep his paw fur trimmed and to look for ice balls afterwards. I doubt we'll get that kind of snow, but just in case, good to know.

Oh, a question. I did get a notice from my apt complex talking about freezing weather this coming week and that if the stairs/sidewalks freeze, they will apply ice melt. No clue what that is. I'm assuming I should protect his feet? How will I know if they applied ice melt?

Thanks.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    It looks like white rocks/salt chunks on the sidewalk. That's what makes my guys' feet hurt. I try to avoid those sidewalks and walk on the grass.

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

You definitely want to avoid it if you can. But if its only going for a short distance, just wipe your pups feet when your bring them in.

But if you are walking on sidewalks that have been treated with salt or ice melt, then you I really recommend you treat their pads before and after. I mentioned a few products already...Pawsticks, Dr. Maggie, Invisible Boots.

And constantly check your pup's pads for cracks and dryness. If so, then treat as soon as you can with ointment.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    What ointment do you recommend? F-kap and Jody's paws have a tendency to crack.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

What I mentioned above....pawsticks, Dr. Maggies or Invisible boots

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Shelties can most definitely deal with 30-40 F weather without batting an eye. Its when you get into my neck of the woods with -10 to -20C as daily norms that the pups start to push back. I will walk them those days of the snow is soft......its insulates them from the cold. But if the snow is frozen, then yes, they will feel it....and that's when I say boots or only quick in and outs!