Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Food transition..

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Cooper'sMama, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    At what age do you usually switch Sheltie pups to adult food from puppy food?

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Emma was about eight months when I started the transition. Both Liam and Natalie I put on adult food when I got them at about 9 months of age.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    It depends on how they're growing. If they're solid and a good size, I start the switch at 6 months to avoid too much weight gain putting stress on those developing bones. If they're small and need more substance, I'd stay with puppy food until 8-9 months.

Most good quality foods have nearly as much calcium as puppy food does so even on adult food the puppy will get enough calcium. Puppies need more protein but again, good adult foods only have slightly less protein than comparable puppy foods. It's important to read the labels so you can compare before making the switch.

4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I have typically used puppy food for 6-8 months, then a mixture of 1/2 puppy and 1/2 adult food until approx. 12 months and then gone to 100% adult food.

Trini

5. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
  6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
  7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I'm with Ann. You can switch pretty much anytime as long as the protein and fat levels are adequate. Any of the holistic foods you should have no problem.

Main difference is often kibble size. Large kibble is great for teeth, but may be hard on a teething puppy.

I will probably switch Callan to adult food at about 8 months. Soon I will also go to two meals instead of 3 and stop moistening his food.

8. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    I have quit moistening jades food. She is a little piglet. I feed Fromm gold puppy to her and adult to the boys. I will prob start transitioning her between 6-9 months. She seems to be on the small side. Only 7 pounds at 12 1/2 weeks.