Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New Sheltie owner in Mexico!! Have some questions

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Moxie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Moxie

Moxie Forums Novice

Apr 17, 2012
    Mexico
    Thanks everyone, you all confirmed my suspicions. I'm only annoyed that the lady wasn't honest with me, but that's very common here. I could have gotten an AKC papered pedigreed Sheltie with parents from New York, but the prices are ridiculous. I only wanted a Sheltie for the smaller size, as we rent our house. The Collie was a lot smaller than I thought she'd be and the "sheltie" father was not all that much smaller than her.

I do hope that he retains that Sheltie/Collie look, even though he seems mixed.

2. Sugars new mom

Sugars new mom Forums Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Ohio
    May I ask, what is a facial stop?

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I think he'll be just lovely!!!

4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    The stop is the "drop" that separates the backskull from the muzzle. The ideal Collie has a "very slight but perceptible stop". The ideal Sheltie has a "slight but definite stop". (Links take you to headstudies of both breeds.) It is one part of breed type, ie. "what makes a Sheltie a Sheltie".

To the OP, congratulations on your puppy! Honestly, neither of his parents are particularly fine examples of their purported breeds, so it seems just as likely that he is 100% Sheltie, 75% Sheltie, or 25% Sheltie - but in any case, I know he will be 100% loved by his new family.

Welcome to the Forum!

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    For Shelties, I personally know of two litters of 9 pups, Cranberry and Dixie came from a litter of 7. Don't know anything about Collie litters....
    Cran is all sheltie- on the larger side and definitely Collie-ish (longer nose, not too big of a stop either)

oh- welcome Moxie:smile2:

6. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Your new puppy is adorable. I love his coloring. Aside from the questionable pedigree I think you have gotten yourself one beautiful puppy.:smile2:

7. bibluegirl

bibluegirl Forums Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    pa
    He looks like hes def part collie. 10 is alot for a sheltie litter which makes me think that this was the collies puppies and not the shelties. He's cute either way but this was prob a oops litter. Hes very big for a sheltie. How old is he?

8. Moxie

Moxie Forums Novice

Apr 17, 2012
    Mexico
    Well, I picked him up today. He's 3 months old and 14.5". So quite oversize. bibluegirl, I think it's an "oops" litter too. That's okay though. He's beautiful and has a great temperament. I actually think that having a little Collie in him will make him a bit more patient with my toddler. :)

9. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    While 10 is a huge litter for a sheltie, it can happen. Justice's grandsire Wysk sired a litter of 10 pups.

I agree with Tofu pup, the pup may or moay not be pure sheltie or part collie but is loved and that is the important thing.