Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Considering a Sheltie?
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldor View Post
I don't mean to be a nag but I think this thread is not about having a debate on pros and cons of neutering.
No, no, you're totally right :)
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:25 PM

In attempts to stay on topic here...

You may have your hands full at first with unaltered pets, but as long as proper precautions and diligence is taken, it will work out fine
Always in my heart and on my mind, Tyler and Rainy
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:43 PM

Animals are not very selective. Your sheltie will very likely breed the dachshund and she will probably help him out. That's why there are so many "designer" breeds out there. If the dachsy does get impregnated she could have a terrible time trying to whelp the pups.
It's too bad you can't spay or neuter one of them. There is higher likelihood of mammory cancer, metritis and pyometra for the bitch. Prostrate problems, infections and behavioural problems are seen more in the males. I spayed all my girls once they were finished in the breeding program. I was never plagued with incontenence in any of our bitches even when many of them were 16 plus of age although I know it can happen. I think it is more likely to happen when she spends a lot of her life holding her urine for too long - just as it does in woman. Once the estrogen depletes there is nothing to condition the bladder and all the stretching over the years has a bad effect.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megansmom View Post
It is NOT a laziness issue at all. Neutering prevents a host of diseases and illnesses and the potential for your dog to get lost and found dead on the side of the road, not to mention unwanted liters! I am sure you will want to debate my statement, please don't. If you feel the need to, PM me. I don't want to get into a public debate with you! Oh wow, I am getting into a debate by saying I will not !

Okay, okay...trying to stay on topic here!
Just FYI- altering dog IS NOT Common in Europe. Most dogs are unaltered. I would not say exactly for Norway but many countries will charge you arm and leg for this procedure and it will be difficult to find a vet to do the procedure to begin with. Cost is usually around $1500