Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Diet & Nutrition > BARF, Raw & Natural Diets
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltieChe View Post
Do you have mypetcarnivore.com delivery near you? They pretty good.
I have started both of my puppies when I got them on chicken necks right away. Nothing happened so we continued. We are very relaxed opportunistic feeders here. I know Leo's breeder was giving puppies lots of different baby foods to give exposure to various meats and proteins.
You might also look into Hare Today. I just did the math and got four months and three weeks worth of food for three dogs, with shipping, for $56.00 a month. We go through about 37lbs a month to give you an idea. We're ordering furry rabbits and whole chickens, though, to make it more affordable... Yikes!!!
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
I like Fromm too and it is local. But not only both my dogs but even darn cat refuse to eat it.
Crap! I was just about to order a bag for the cat!! I wonder if I could get a sample?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:24 AM

almost every store seems to have samples of Fromm. It is really great food and I am bummed, but I only use kibble for treats and what kind of value treat is if they barely go for it...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
almost every store seems to have samples of Fromm. It is really great food and I am bummed, but I only use kibble for treats and what kind of value treat is if they barely go for it...
Yeah, I live in a rural area and don't have a store that sells it nearby....

I've tried for almost a year to switch my cat to RAW and haven't had any luck.... sigh...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:41 PM

Well, this already looks to be going good. No more diarrhea and vomiting today. Poop already is firm and normal looking. I honestly didn't expect to have them transition so easily. I figured I'd at least be dealing with a few days of runs while they adjusted.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:33 AM

Red face switching to barf

I have a litter & have decided to wean them onto barf. Very excited. Have been searching for info. This post has been a great help.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:10 AM

Talking I haven't read the replies yet

I have an 11 week old sheltie that I have been feeding raw for a little over a week. There was no transition period; I just switched him. He did fine with that. There was a little learning curve with the bones. At first, he wasn't really sure how to eat them, but after a few day, he was chomping down and breaking them like an expert. The breast seems to have nice starter bones.

I started him on chicken and have introduced pork. For the chicken, I just bought a whole chicken. I gave him the organs and neck as one meal. I used kitchen shears to cut up the rest into meal sized pieces. I'm trying to do a Tom Lonsdale type prey model diet, and the whole chicken was $0.99/pound. The pork was a loin that was on sale; it was the cheapest cut of non-chicken meat that I could find. I just needed some meaty-meat. Right now, he's getting all of his bones from the chicken.

Anyway, I feed him about 9 or 10 ounces of meat spread over 3 meals. I just eyeball it; I'm sure that some days he gets more.

He loves it. I know that you're worried about those baby teeth, but this seems to be the best thing for them. He can get his chewing out of the way with dinner and leave my shoes alone! Seriously though, I really do think it's helped with the teething. :)

Last edited by Percy; Aug 18, 2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: I'm just editing to say that I just noticed that this is an old post. Whoops.