Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Gear > Clothing, Leashes & Collars
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:14 PM

I'm sorry if I'm being pushy here, but I'm going to reiterate that the solution is NOT in finding a chew proof leash, but to get her to stop chewing it in the first place.

I don't have much advice as to how to deal with that issue itself....I'm sure there are others on the forum who are better trainers than I, so hopefully someone will step in with advice. But I do know that chewing through leashes is NOT acceptable and this behaviour should be stopped.

My tuppence worth.
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:20 AM

I would get a long 20ft leash for the beach. I am not a fan of retractable leashes and saw a neighbor with a young Dobie in one last week and the girl had no idea how to use the leash or walk her dog.
Maggie and Katie- always in our hearts.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightplum View Post
I have a 20' leash that mine use at the beach...I tried retractable but the sand does a number on it! This way they get to run in the water and sand with it I bring it home and hose it off let it dry outside and its good to go again!

this is the leash I use http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amp%3B+Leashes
This is what we used on the beach when the pups were young and did not have a reliable recall.

It is a great leash! My mom uses it all the time with her setters and it is very sturdy.

The difference with this leash and the retractable one is that if they grab it in the back of their mouth, they can't snap it in one bite, like they can do with a retractable leash. This is strong and sturdy so if your dog grabs it, it will not bite through it in one chomp like you can with a retractable leash.
HiMark's Favorite Cookie (Oreo)

Last edited by danisgoat; Apr 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:32 AM

I went to the local dollar store and bought a 30' long line made of 3/4" webbing to allow Phoebe to wander further afield in the bush. I used it to teach Tinsel to have a lead on so that I could feed it out quickly if he tried to balk. I have taught all my Belgians and Westie puppies lead training with a flex lead - still have the original and use it nearly daily - never had a dog learn to pull on it but I can see how, in less experienced hands, one could teach bad habits on it. I love it because it helps to prevent me from trying to put physical pressure on the puppy if it wants to go the other way. My mantra is cajole, encourage and reward but no pulling. I don't use one for walking near traffic. I never allow a dog to mouth it's lead even though most puppies will try it. I agree you need to work on this consistantly. I bet that little sheltie has figured out the different ways to foil your attempts but I know you can outsmart him.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:28 PM

http://www.muttgear.net/

I think you might want to look into one of these vir-chewly indestructible leash :p they are light and thin and comes in many colors! I think one size down is fine for Shelties as they don't tend to pull as hard as other breeds.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:04 PM

Well I got her the 20ft leash that was mentioned previously. Took her to play inthe creek this morning and it worked great. She does't chew her leash nor would we allow it. What she did with the retractable leash is she would turn around and I guess see it in front of her face. I think she would grab it to move it away and like danisgoat said and immediately it would be chewed through with one bite. With the long lead it can be loose and not pulling in front of her face so she doesn't bother with it.

Thanks for all the help!
Old May 20, 2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby's mom View Post
Well I got her the 20ft leash that was mentioned previously. Took her to play inthe creek this morning and it worked great. She does't chew her leash nor would we allow it. What she did with the retractable leash is she would turn around and I guess see it in front of her face. I think she would grab it to move it away and like danisgoat said and immediately it would be chewed through with one bite. With the long lead it can be loose and not pulling in front of her face so she doesn't bother with it.

Thanks for all the help!
Glad to hear that it worked for you and thanks for coming back and letting us know! We appreciate the feedback.
HiMark's Favorite Cookie (Oreo)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinam View Post
I know a lot of people on this forum aren't big fans of retractable leashes. They have caused a few deaths and it is difficult to maintain control of your dog.

That being said, if you're looking for a good leash I'd recommend Lupine. They guarantee their leashes, even if chewed (just send them back and they'll send you a replacement!). We've had ours for several years and I think they will last forever.

http://lupinepet.com/
Thank you for this advice as a new owner of a tug-of-war leash player Sheltie. I know you posted this a while back, but I took Bandit into the field in the middle of my development around 8pm, and while playing games, he'd grab his retractable and shake his head violently, growl, and get overly excited.

My mother gave me this leash, and she honestly doesn't know the breed at all. I don't even know, and I grew up with my other Sheltie, Brandy! I looked at the thickness and width of the lead when I got home, and I am SO LUCKY nothing happened. It was almost as thin as a USB cable!

Lesson learned with luck. Now i'm looking into long leads so he can frolic, yet know his place when I tell him to "heel." He knows the command loosely, and I have a special thick reflective leash at night, since I live in the city and walk him along the pavement with some cars coming by pretty fast. I keep a tight leash, don't worry!

But again, thank you. I don't want Bandit loose AGAIN!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:49 PM

The 20 ft leash has been working great for us. We took her for a 6 mile walk this weekend on an old rail bed that has been made into a nice walking trail. This allowed her to have the freedom to run around the path and wooded areas yet allowed me to keep her close when people were around. She has not tried to put this leash in her mouth once. We use her short Lupine leash when walking around town. I do love that leash too.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:34 AM

As for regular leather leashes, a coating of Bitter Apple got my boy to stop mouthing it. (I applied it immediately prior to usage.)