Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Sheltie Chat
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinam View Post
Honestly, I think it depends on the dog. Lexi is capable of jumping over 3', but I know she would never, ever consider jumping a 3' fence.
I tend to agree with you. I know my dogs can easily jump 3 feet or more if they really want to. But I have one section of my fence which is only 2.5 feet high. So far, neither dog has shown any inclination, though they have had enough motivation to try.

That being said, most of my fencing is about 4.5 feet. (iron, not wood)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:48 PM

I have a four foot chain link fence. I've never had an issue with one of the dogs trying to jump it. I do wish it was wood so that they couldn't see everything going on outside our yard though.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbV View Post
I tend to agree with you. I know my dogs can easily jump 3 feet or more if they really want to. But I have one section of my fence which is only 2.5 feet high. So far, neither dog has shown any inclination, though they have had enough motivation to try.

That being said, most of my fencing is about 4.5 feet. (iron, not wood)
Barb,

This is probably the best point to be made in this discussion, glad you brought this up. A fence only preforms, or is only functional to it ‘lowest point’, given the ground terrain or jumping platforms. Glad you boys are homebodies. I love the iron fencing… beautiful, wish I could install this around my backyard. The neighbors 105 pound (16 month old) lab does everything he can to get over to my shelties… to play I hope! I don’t know how much more my wood fence can take with him crashing into it every night.
Simona & Muff Muff (miss you girls)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justicemom View Post
But I don't leave my guys out by themselves.
I think this is a VERY important point. I think that my dogs, if motivated (separation anxiety, boredom, external stimuli), could get through the majority of fences whether by climbing it, digging under it, eating through it, etc...

But, they are never presented with the opportunity. When they are outside they are kept busy. They are either playing with me, relaxing with me, or going to the bathroom. If they are doing none of those things, they're inside.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GoodDogs View Post
I have three sides with 8 foot privacy fencing, and the back is 8 ft chain link. The height of the fence needs to match the motivation of the dog... when the squirrels and dogs are out - I think I need a much taller fence. Shelties can levitate ya know...

My favorite fence picture - nosy boy checkin' on the neighbors.
http://www.goodpaws.org/forum/galler..._282_41367.jpg
great pic

we have 6' privacy on three sides and 4' chain link between my neighbor's yard and mine.
Happy the escape artist after finding a hole where there was significant rotting, then made his own holes.

The foster Catahoula climbed the chain link into the neighbor's yard- but came back when I called him.... which is when I saw the climbing

The shelties have not attempted to leave the yard- good dogs
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I think this is a VERY important point. I think that my dogs, if motivated (separation anxiety, boredom, external stimuli), could get through the majority of fences whether by climbing it, digging under it, eating through it, etc...

But, they are never presented with the opportunity. When they are outside they are kept busy. They are either playing with me, relaxing with me, or going to the bathroom. If they are doing none of those things, they're inside.
We have 4 ft fencing - wood on two sides and wire on two sides ... plus we have a gated entry to the patio for half the year. Like you ... we are always outside with our Shelties when they are out. You just never know what strays can come into your yard and cause a comotion ... as well as the possibility of rabid raccoons or squirrels hopping over the fences (there is an overpopulation of the former here and they have been known to be rabid).

Even our breeder is nervous of leaving puppies out in a small fenced area unattended as she witnessed a crow attack a kitten in her neighbours yard a few years ago.
in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:

I agree. Mine are never left out alone either, except in the fenced pen for a few minutes while I vacuum. (Which the tumbleweeds in my house will tell you is not much )
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:56 PM

Many thanks to all of the repliers. I will take it all into account as we move forward.

NHAnimator