Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Diseases & Illnesses
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:10 AM

Thanks for posting that thread - I remember it happening now but I didn't link it to what Deska had. Deska's was very obvious bleeding, no vomiting and a really awful smell (which my vet says is the same smell as Parvo). Plus of course in the heat of the moment and being away from home it was all very hard to take in. Wish I had remembered the thread as it may have got my team mates moving if they had a concrete example of how fatal it can be. I really don't think they took it all seriously. I know I'll be carrying electrolytes and syringes with me from now on when we go away. It can't hurt to keep stuff for rehydrating the dogs around anyway, esp when we are at comps.

Mr D had a walk this morning and did pretty well, definately getting his strength back enough to be barking . Unfortunately he isn't allowed NSAIDs for his arthritis anymore just in case, so he's going to be pretty stiff and sore, and the surgery has been delayed to let his health recover. And he is refusing to poop atm, holding it in for dear life poor thing.
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:47 AM

Oh I am so happy Deska is going to be alright. I never heard of this before.

Glad you were able to get it all under control. Scary, its really something to look for.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliesmom View Post
surprised that y'all would say that you have never heard of HGE before.
I know that the first time that I heard of it was on here a while back- searching on HGE did not bring up any threads strangely since it's in the title of at least two threads.
I did, on a quick look, find this thread from last year- (there may be others but not enough time to look at work): http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=10311
Very few comments on that thread, so thank goodness Caro started this one so that more people can read it and let it sink in!!!!

The good thing about threads like these, even if you do not remember the name, if your dog starts pooping blood you will remember in the back of your mind that this could be very serious and that you need to get medical attention ASAP.
HiMark's Favorite Cookie (Oreo)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Caro View Post
Thanks for posting that thread - I remember it happening now but I didn't link it to what Deska had. Deska's was very obvious bleeding, no vomiting and a really awful smell (which my vet says is the same smell as Parvo). Plus of course in the heat of the moment and being away from home it was all very hard to take in. Wish I had remembered the thread as it may have got my team mates moving if they had a concrete example of how fatal it can be. I really don't think they took it all seriously. I know I'll be carrying electrolytes and syringes with me from now on when we go away. It can't hurt to keep stuff for rehydrating the dogs around anyway, esp when we are at comps.

Mr D had a walk this morning and did pretty well, definately getting his strength back enough to be barking . Unfortunately he isn't allowed NSAIDs for his arthritis anymore just in case, so he's going to be pretty stiff and sore, and the surgery has been delayed to let his health recover. And he is refusing to poop atm, holding it in for dear life poor thing.
He might not have enough solid food in his system to go poo-poo yet.

Mally had HGE when he was younger. He was very sick. I remember it took him awhile to go #2 normally again.

The HGE drained his system so. If I remember correctly, at least 2 or 3 days for a normal one.

I am so very happy to hear that he is doing better and is going to be okay.

Praying for his total recovery.