Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Performance Sports > Agility
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:22 PM

Default DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9kreationz View Post
I don't know what to tell you. Koji has never driven to the bottom, ever. Actually, there's very little that he drives to in general. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, he drives to two things, food or something in motion (usually I try to make it me).

So I may always have a creeping issue because of that fact. But that's Koji. Why do you think I'm always trying to be in front of him.
Personally, I still think you rushed him and that is JMO.Good Luck with it.
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:38 PM

I wanted to say. I think I shouldn't have used the word "creeping". I have seen creeping dogs and I don't think that's Koji. He's slowing down on the down part, but just stops short. I'm fine with his DW otherwise.

Here's a good example: http://youtu.be/VGx8FeW2LME
(At 10 seconds)

I did release him, so that's bad on my part (stupid handler/trainer), that's why you see that bounce.

I am definitely going to incorporate the target plate. I didn't want to, but I can see how beneficial it will be. Let's hope it just clicks like it did for Trax. :)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortegah View Post
Absolutely! I first train target as something completely aside from agility. I use a lid from an oatmeal container or whatever and first touch it to his nose and then click and treat. Then after a while I'll put it on the ground and wait to see if he'll do it on his own. If not, I'll point to it and as soon as his nose touches it, click and treat again. Pretty soon he's offering the action as it causes numerous clicks and treats. That's when I put a command to it. Once again, lots of clicks and treats. Pretty soon you can toss that target lid anywhere and they will run over to it and put their nose on it and run back for the click and treat. In all of this, I do NOT put the food on the lid. I only treat for when he puts his nose on the lid. It gets their head down which helps when you start to combine it with a contact obstacle.

Once Trax had all that down then I started to put it at the end of the contacts. You can put food on it once you have it at the end of the contact or not put food on it. Totally up to you. I personally put food on it when its at the end of the contact just because it helps to keep them there with their head down for a few seconds so you can reinforce the stop. Also it helped drive Trax to the end of the contact even if I wasn't around, because quite frankly he loves food
This is EXACTLY how we trained the contacts with Lexi. The only difference is that a bit later in the training we added in a second target to keep her driving fast and moving forward.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silaria View Post
I get the feeling with Koji that you really aren't going to be able to let up on the training at all. It feels like he needs the constant reinforcement of the behavior.
Yes, I agree. I meant to say this in my first post but forgot! If I let Lexi get away with missing the criteria, she'd outsmart me and push farther and farther until we had no criteria at all. Bentley thinks and works differently, and becomes unmotivated if he doesn't get it right after a few tries.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:44 PM

Default Dogwalk

Quote:
I wanted to say. I think I shouldn't have used the word "creeping". I have seen creeping dogs and I don't think that's Koji. He's slowing down on the down part, but just stops short. I'm fine with his DW otherwise.

Here's a good example: http://youtu.be/VGx8FeW2LME
(At 10 seconds)

I did release him, so that's bad on my part (stupid handler/trainer), that's why you see that bounce.

I am definitely going to incorporate the target plate. I didn't want to, but I can see how beneficial it will be. Let's hope it just clicks like it did for Trax. :)
He is creeping towards the end but not that bad.His up contact is nice and he was running and then broke into a fast trot and his weaves were very nice.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:01 AM

I agree that Koji's contact at the end of the dw was *not* anything to get worked up about. Yes he moved quicker on the upramp than down -- for stopped contacts that is typical. His stride changes while on the middle plank -- also not uncommon for stopped contact dogs.
He is slowing significantly on the down ramp, but it looks to me like he is *trying* to do what he thinks you have trained him to do: it appears that he is looking for the end of the ramp, & if he has a 4o the teeter, well is it really an issue if he is consistent on the dw - you say you released him: looking at this video his "bounce" off is immediately after you took a single step (accel forward motion) but then *you* decel'd by stopping momentarily.
I suspect if instead you continued motion forward without the pause after the single step then Koji would have more confidently driven forward.

So, just looking at this single instance I say Koji's contact work was not bad at all & he was responding to your (intentional or not) cue appropriately.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinam View Post
This is EXACTLY how we trained the contacts with Lexi. The only difference is that a bit later in the training we added in a second target to keep her driving fast and moving forward.
Glad to hear I did something right! It's not often that I hear that from people! LOL!
Flutterby Don't Take Me For Granite - "Granite"
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Where's the "jealous" emoticon? LOL. Well, Koji is turning 5 this year, maybe all of a sudden he'll turn into a Trax? Yeah, I didn't think so either. I'll give it a try with the target. I think that will help him understand more of what I want. Time to go back to basics.

Dangit, I just signed up for one last trial. Oh well. I'll be taking off May-June (trialing only), so we'll see what happens during that time period.
Trax ain't all that, I guarantee you. He's a great dog, but at the end of the day he's only as good as his handler ;)

The target though made all the difference in the world. I really think it helped him "get it" and taught him that I can't always be there and when I'm not he still has to do his job.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortegah View Post
Glad to hear I did something right! It's not often that I hear that from people! LOL!
Hey, I didn't say it was "right"
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinam View Post
Hey, I didn't say it was "right"
Heh, good point