Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Say Hello!
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:09 PM

Thanks everyone, you all confirmed my suspicions. I'm only annoyed that the lady wasn't honest with me, but that's very common here. I could have gotten an AKC papered pedigreed Sheltie with parents from New York, but the prices are ridiculous. I only wanted a Sheltie for the smaller size, as we rent our house. The Collie was a lot smaller than I thought she'd be and the "sheltie" father was not all that much smaller than her.

I do hope that he retains that Sheltie/Collie look, even though he seems mixed.
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
I'd go out out on a limb and suggest the daddy might be a sheltie-collie mix as well. he didn't have much of a facial stop and is on the big size.

But they are all nice looking dogs and welcome!
May I ask, what is a facial stop?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Thanks everyone, you all confirmed my suspicions. I'm only annoyed that the lady wasn't honest with me, but that's very common here. I could have gotten an AKC papered pedigreed Sheltie with parents from New York, but the prices are ridiculous. I only wanted a Sheltie for the smaller size, as we rent our house. The Collie was a lot smaller than I thought she'd be and the "sheltie" father was not all that much smaller than her.

I do hope that he retains that Sheltie/Collie look, even though he seems mixed.
I think he'll be just lovely!!!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugars new mom View Post
May I ask, what is a facial stop?
The stop is the "drop" that separates the backskull from the muzzle. The ideal Collie has a "very slight but perceptible stop". The ideal Sheltie has a "slight but definite stop". (Links take you to headstudies of both breeds.) It is one part of breed type, ie. "what makes a Sheltie a Sheltie".

To the OP, congratulations on your puppy! Honestly, neither of his parents are particularly fine examples of their purported breeds, so it seems just as likely that he is 100% Sheltie, 75% Sheltie, or 25% Sheltie - but in any case, I know he will be 100% loved by his new family.

Welcome to the Forum!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danisgoat View Post
Congratulations on your new puppy!

I don't see a prominant "stop" on your pup, but I am still not sure if that is a good way to tell if it is a collie mix or not.

The biggest thing that stood out to me is 10 puppies. That is a LOT for a Sheltie. The Sheltie breeders could step in here and let me know if I am way off base here, but I thought that Shelties typically have smaller litters where the collies have larger litters. But again, I could be way off.

In any event, your pup is beautiful! Congratulations on your new addition. Both Collies and Shelties are amazing dogs, so I hope that you have the best companion dog ever!

Welcome to the Sheltie Nation Forum!
For Shelties, I personally know of two litters of 9 pups, Cranberry and Dixie came from a litter of 7. Don't know anything about Collie litters....
Cran is all sheltie- on the larger side and definitely Collie-ish (longer nose, not too big of a stop either)

oh- welcome Moxie
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:31 PM

Your new puppy is adorable. I love his coloring. Aside from the questionable pedigree I think you have gotten yourself one beautiful puppy.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:54 PM

He looks like hes def part collie. 10 is alot for a sheltie litter which makes me think that this was the collies puppies and not the shelties. He's cute either way but this was prob a oops litter. Hes very big for a sheltie. How old is he?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:06 AM

Well, I picked him up today. He's 3 months old and 14.5". So quite oversize. bibluegirl, I think it's an "oops" litter too. That's okay though. He's beautiful and has a great temperament. I actually think that having a little Collie in him will make him a bit more patient with my toddler. :)
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danisgoat View Post
Congratulations on your new puppy!

I don't see a prominant "stop" on your pup, but I am still not sure if that is a good way to tell if it is a collie mix or not.

The biggest thing that stood out to me is 10 puppies. That is a LOT for a Sheltie. The Sheltie breeders could step in here and let me know if I am way off base here, but I thought that Shelties typically have smaller litters where the collies have larger litters. But again, I could be way off.

In any event, your pup is beautiful! Congratulations on your new addition. Both Collies and Shelties are amazing dogs, so I hope that you have the best companion dog ever!

Welcome to the Sheltie Nation Forum!
While 10 is a huge litter for a sheltie, it can happen. Justice's grandsire Wysk sired a litter of 10 pups.

I agree with Tofu pup, the pup may or moay not be pure sheltie or part collie but is loved and that is the important thing.
At the bridge forever in my heart-UCH UAGII Diva CDX MX MXJ OF RA