Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When Rescue Goes Wrong

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by Ann, Aug 4, 2014.

1. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I hope they get a resolution soon - I keep looking at Hanna and thinking how awful it would be if someone had her for months and refused to return her. :cry:

2. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    After poking around the Franklin County Municipal Court web page, I don't really look for a resolution of this case, certainly THIS year. As it turns out, the 12/11 hearing is simply a "pretrial" hearing. As such, unless Penny Sanderbeck just folds her cards (highly unlikely), not much movement is likely at this session (IMO). The court docket has only 25 minutes set aside for this session, so it isn't likely THEY expect much more than some posturing and a few motions offered.

There were a few other things on the court's web page that I found interesting: 1) on 11/12 & 11/18 there was a bunch of back and forth posturing by both side's attorneys over discovery information and asking for more time to address the issues before 12/23. It looks as if 12/23 MIGHT have been set for the start of the trial (but that doesn't make sense to me). 2) As several people pointed out much earlier, the COSR only had to put down $155.00 to secure the $10,000.00 bond, BUT, Covatch had to plunk down the ENTIRE $10,000.00 for her bond. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't get that one.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    There are MANY things that don't make sense about this case. Starting with why the court hasn't demanded to know Piper's whereabout's or proof of life in all this time.

I agree that not much will happen on the 11th, sadly. More waiting and expense for Veronica.

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    They did indeed have the hearing this morning at 9am. I don't know what the outcome was, or what happened.

There is a reason that Veronica was not able to secure a bond like COSR, and had to put down the full $10,000. It has something to do with her past, it's not relevant to the current case, and I don't feel that it's appropriate to discuss. The "other" page wrote a blog about it to "expose" Veronica and it was just a terrible thing to do, but that's how I know about it. They have since taken down the blog. But there is indeed a valid, legal, reason why she was not able to secure a bond.

5. JLSOhio51

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I am in Columbus today and intended to attend the hearing (if it was open to the public which many hearings are), but I just couldn't squeeze out the time.

Your explanation of the reason for the disparity in securing the bond makes sense, with what little I know of legal workings. Since I am spending about 1/2 of my time in the Columbus area, I have had the luxury (?) of getting a somewhat 1st hand impression of COSR and the embattled director. All I will say is that she is a VERY interesting character study.

6. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Court date set for March 12th, 2015.

7. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Oh my. That will be a year since this poor dog went missing. What has happened to her in all this time? Wrong, just wrong. She's not a motorcycle or pair of shoes, she is a living being who has not been presented and checked on. The sad thing is that ALL this money to battle this could have rescued how many dogs? It makes me sad.

8. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I suspect there is a whole lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, that can't be talked about openly. Something on one of the FB pages broke loose last night, causing a huge stir. It is just getting more and more bizarre and more and more complicated for the rescue.

9. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah I saw that this morning.. basically somebody is exposing the people behind the "other" page. At least one is a Sheltie breeder. I'm not sure if that's true or not, and I'm not about to join in on the craziness.

10. JLSOhio51

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Jess041: I agree with your refusal to "join the craziness". It has been my experience that no matter the issue, no matter who is at fault, there are usually "inaccuracies, truth stretching and/or out and out lies" in EACH of the stories of the two sides. With that as a given (at least in my mind), what is the MOST exasperating about this Piper situation is the length of time the SYSTEM has allowed this cancer to live in our world. I'm not even suggesting which side of the issue is right/wrong. HOWEVER the problem is resolved, it should be resolved "with a quickness" as my dear grandmother used to say. (An example: even though both sides have the legal right to employ various stall tactics, the legal professionals I have talked to say that the judge COULD/can still require the dog to be produced while all of the back and forth continues. At least we would know that the dog is still alive). It is my opinion (only an opinion) that the reason this issue continues to drag on is because WHATEVER the resolution, it will be a lose/lose for those charged with making a decision.