Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bleeding from Bottom - HGE?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by CharlieBrown, Aug 14, 2014.

1. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Forums Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Grafton
    So I came home from work today and only Charlie came to greet me. I asked my dad where Lucy was and he said the vet :cry:

At about 6am in the morning Lucy threw up and I just thought it may have been from dinner or something but then she wouldn't eat her breakfast this morning. Dad said during the day he noticed drops of blood on the ground and he looked at her poos and they were bright red kinda like jam and her bum was all red. She was bleeding a lot from her bottom. Thank god he had the sense to take her straight to the vet.

So I've just got off the phone from the vet getting up to date with all that's happened today. He thought it might have been a bone stuck but he couldn't feel anything. They then x-rayed her but nothing showed up. She's just had bloodwork done but its all come back normal. The vet is thinking its Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE). He's decided to keep her in overnight, keep her on an IV and start her on some anti-biotics. The vet said shes not interested in food still (so not like her) but when she starts to eat hes going to give her some pro-biotics as well.

Has anyone else had this or heard of it before? I'm so scared for her!!

Thanks,
    Emma, Charlie and especially Lucy!

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Wow. Keep us posted. I heard of one with it because the owner had given him naproxen (or maybe ibuprofen) -- one of those NO NO meds. They did save the dog in that case but it was a battle.

Hopefully your baby girl is not serious like that.

3. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    You're in our prayers!!

4. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    Vibes heading your way!

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes Justice had HGE one Sunday when I was coming back from an obedience trial. At 8am he began to vomit and by 9 he was passing bright jam like bloody stool. I was 9 hrs from home traveling. Thank god I ha d SQ fluids, metronidazole and sucralfate in my car for my other dog who had kidney failure. I have him Fluids every hour in the car all the way home. He spent 2 days on Iv
    IV fluids after we got home.

HGE is a quick killer.I have seen dogs die in hours when medical care was delayed. There is no known trigger maybe stress related. Nothing to mess around with. Sending prayers for Lucy for a quick recovery.

All pet owners should be aware. Common in shelties
    http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe...ealth/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-in-dogs/764

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    How frightening. Prayers for the CharlieBrown family.

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    How scared and frightened you all must be, especially little Lucy. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery for your fur baby Lucy. Please keep us posted. :cry: :fl

8. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Oh my word. That poor little thing. Healing thoughts sent her way and hugs to her family while she recovers.

9. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    sending prayers for healing

10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Your Dad's quick thinking and getting Lucy to the vet's immediately probably has saved her life. With treatment she should pull through...but it is really scary and can happen so fast. We have only gone through it once many years ago and our Stormie came through fine with a couple days stay in the hospital.

Sending many good thoughts for your precious little Lucy.

Trini