Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How much do your senior shelties eat?

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Fasb's Owner, May 10, 2014.

1. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Honey used to eat 2/3rd two times a day, as she aged (now 9-10) she started putting on weight. I blame it on me not having a fence for her to run anymore and we stopped weekly agility classes so she gained. she now eats 1/3rd twice a day, so we cut her food in half. So I don't know if it was so much because of her age or because her activity level went down. Needless to say she enjoys just hanging out on the couch.

2. Sandi'sMom

Sandi'sMom Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio
    It could be both. If you have a dog park nearby you may want to take Honey there. She doesn't have to run with the other dogs but just walking from one side of the park to another, wrestle with the dogs, or just socializing in general is better for her than just lying on the couch. When my Sandi will be the same age as your Honey we will still take her to the park to run even a little bit. But this "a lttle bit' is better than nothing at all. :smile2: Find the closest dog park and try to visit it often.

3. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I'm very against dog parks as way too much stuff happens there, and the nearest is an hour away. We do play with her in our apartment such as fetch and tug. She also gets nagged by Ruutu often which ends up in a chase. But she is a very reactive dog and will get set off by anything including birds, people, kids, dogs, cats etc. Needless to say, when we do walk more than a potty it is a quick one or at night/morning when her vision isn't as good.

But walking/playing in the house doesn't add up to what she does at Agility once a week or running and barking at cars in a fenced in yard.

Edited to add: All this being said, she is much happier living with my fiance, myself and ruutu than living with my parents and their three males (2 shelties, 1 yorkie) and she is doing much better health wise since she doesn't have to be crated in my house where at my parents' they crated everyone.

4. Sandi'sMom

Sandi'sMom Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio
    In the dog park we watch Sandi like a hawk that she doesn't fight with anybody, and no one hurts her.
    We live in the flat condo on the 3rd floor and don't have a backyard, just a small balcony. A dog park really helps a lot to keep her fit.

I agree with you that to crate the adult dogs for too long time is not a good idea. They will develop arthritis and other health conditions that could be irreversable. If you have a fenced backyard it's certainly the best. We don't have it, so... And if hubby let her off the leash when he walks her she will def. run after squirrel, a dog, a duck, you name it, just like your Honey. LOL So we don't have many options for her agility.