Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tinsel's Journey

Discussion in 'Rescue Stories' started by Tagg, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    yummy, Banana Bread
    Great job on the scent work, thanks for sharing I wanna give it a try!!!
    I always tell him to use his nose, for example when I ask him to find my sneakers (should be easy if he smells those, eh?) or his ball, lol

2. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

My nose would be in overdrive too! He's a smart boy and making so much progress. Love that he chose the correct door! Future guide dog? Hope he got that treat and more.

Hugs from Gypsy and I to both of you and Happy Easter! :hugs

I sent you a pm.

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Find some maple butter to put on the Banana bread..... tastes 10000 times better than it sounds a perfect combo. Might even be good for Tinsel :winkgrin:

4. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Maple butter eh? I'll give that a whirl. We had a lady that had adopted to rehomes from Sheltie Ontario Rescue come for a visit today. She wanted to meet someone from her area so the coordinator put her in touch with me. She brought ME flowers this time and treats for the dogs and horses. Tinsel wanted to greet her but she was being a little cautious in her attempt not to upset him which made him think something was wrong. I gave her one of the treats she brought and told her to turn slightly sideways and offer her hand with the treat. He stretched that little sheltie neck as far as it would go and took it from her. Once she was done and she sat down I explained to her that she had to behave normally around him or he would sense her caution and it would make him apprehensive. I find this true about all animals, not just dogs from bad backgrounds. He got past it and decided to give her a second chance especially since it meant another treat. We then went down to the pasture so she could visit with the horses and Thomas promptly snorted a hello and managed to get us both. She loves horses so she didn't mind and I just got a thank you note saying she enjoyed her day. Bet her dogs went into sensory overlode when she got home!

5. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    This morning was interesting. We had 2 huge trees taken down a few days before Tinsel arrived. The were located just on the other side of the dog yard. The tree cutter had left the pieces in 20 - 24 inch chunks strewn all over. We called the fellow we used to buy wood from before going to Geothermal and asked him if he wanted it. He and his crew have been here a couple of mornings recutting and splitting wood and Tinsel didn't seem to care - used the yard normally for his "business". Well, this morning they came to do the last of it and now the splitter and chainsaws were just outside the run. I had no idea they were coming this morning and so wasn't prepared. Tinsel went out to pee, came in and ate and then went out to do his usual poop and was stopped dead by the ruckus. He refused to go about his business so I put him on a lead and took him to the other side of the house, through the fields, brought Rhi out and even walked him over to her poop from the night before but - nope. He's never defecated in the house and I didn't want this to be his first but didn't know if he would hold it or how long he would have to. Good news, they left after three hours and although he was worried about going out to the pen, he did and pooped immediately. What a little trooper!

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    That would have stopped my girls in their tracks! It was hard enough to get them to go potty the first time they were in the snow! WHAT??? NO GRASS??!!

Sensitive souls, our shelties. But, that's why we love 'em. :winkgrin:

7. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Way to go Tinsel! :smile2:

8. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Tinsel is a big boy now.:biggrin2:

9. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    very true
    gosh forbid if there is something different! :eek2:

10. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

He has really come a long way! Good boy Tinsel. We love you!