Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tinsel's Journey

Discussion in 'Rescue Stories' started by Tagg, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Thanks Eva. I wish we could get to the bottom of this with Rhi. I told hubby this morning that the vet bills will be shared as our Valentine's day gift to each other - maybe any other holiday as well!!! After losing Shona the way we did, I am always concerned that another of my charges will seizure because of a sudden build up of toxins due to an undiagnosed condition. It was the worst day of my life and I still feel the effects of it years later.

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I can relate. I still tear up everytime I see a photo of my little Dawson. I don't think I'll ever forget that morning and the awful drive to the vet with him seizing the whole way, nor the shock of losing him so suddenly. :no:

Hope you figure it out too.:hugs

3. KarenW

KarenW Forums Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Il
    God bless

What wonderful people u r ...he will come around. They r such forgiving beings.

4. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Thanks for the support. We are still investigating Rhi's loss of appetite and are arranging for ultrasound next. Tinsel is back to his old self. I wonder how old he really is. His muzzle is getting whiter under his eyes like an old guy but maybe it's just because of his breeding - or lack of as the case may be.
    I find myself staring at the pictures of shelties of varying ages to try and get a better estimate to his age. He had a lot of teeth pulled before he came and what's left has a lot of damage so his teeth don't help at all.
    BTW, while not a fan of the snow, he is being pretty brave now about having to go out in it to do his thing. This morning, he was following Rhiannon down the path to do his poop and she stopped dead to pee. He then squatted were he was, on the path, and was half way through when Rhi decided she was done and turned back. The path is one dog wide so he backed into the snow bank and finished so now there is a "poopsicle"sticking out of the snow. The strangest things amuse me :)

5. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I was in the washroom, a place that I no longer can have privacy in I might add, and Tin saw the can of paint I had brought up from the cellar. Of course he went to sniff it and I told him to "leave it" which he did and came over for the butt scratch he knew he would get. It occurred to me that most of the training I do with young dogs involve teaching while they are roaming around the house exploring. For example, my waste paper bin in that same basket is open. All of my dogs leave it alone because I gave them the chance to make the mistake and used the 'leave it" followed by praise even if I had to gently move them away from it. I could have just closed the door but they needed to learn not to go in that container as well as be reinforced regularily on what "leave it" means. Similarily, I teach dogs to sit while I place their meals on the floor, or when I want to say hello. They learn this is the accepted thing so when someone comes to the door they are less likely to jump up.
    Now for an update about Tin and his thyroid meds. We were getting pretty concerned because Tin was starting to growl at people that came in the door. We are in the middle of a major renovation and things were getting lost in the shuffle. One of those things was delivering Tin's synthroid as prescribed. He still got it 2 times a day but instead of 12 hours apart it was 11 1/2 one day, 12 the next or food given inside the windows of 1 hour before meals or 3 hours after. I decided to try getting him back on scheduale and wait one week to see if things got better. Amazingly, he went back to his sweet little self and ran over, nosed the leg of and got a big scratch from the blacksmith on Sunday. Hmmmmmm

6. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I am sure that I am not alone in marveling at the problems that the two of you have gone through and the progress you have made along the way. Approaching the blacksmith sounds small, but those of us who have shared your journey through your posts understand just how huge that truly is. I continue to look forward to your updates.

7. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Still renovating, nearly done. I needed to get the dogs out from under foot and ladder so I gave them a Milkbone dental chew each in their crates. Fortunately, I was in the same room on the ladder cleaning the windows when Tinsel started moving around in his crate so I got down and peered in. His always open mouth was more opened with foam and bits of this chew drooling out and he looked terrified. I called Dave to come down and give me a hand and took Tin to the grooming table. I opened his mouth to discover that he had chewed the two ends of this treat and the middle was lodged and spanning the roof of his mouth between his molars of his upper palette. I stuck my fingers in and wiggle and pried and with a little force, managed to get it out. He sat through this without struggle. There was a little blood so I rinsed his mouth out. I couldn't believe how well he behaved during this. I was expecting him to react badly and instead he acted like he was Phoebe on the table. Good job Tins! Thank goodness I looked in when he started fussing and that he was in the same room as me. Had I left the room and gone down to paint another window, I shudder to think what he would have gone through. Lesson learned.
    BTW, Tinsel thinks that he has to help me work. If I am on the ladder, he is under it. He follows us back and forth, from room to room, observing what we are doing. I had two dog beds stacked randomly in amongst the clutter in the middle of the room I was working in and the central vac hose was laying across them. Tins decided to lay on his bed regardless of their disarray with the hose right across from his face. Dave plugged the other end into the wall outlet in the hall not realizing it. Tin looked at it as it tried to swallow his nose but didn't worry about it. I ran over and got it before it started pulling on his coat but what a guy. Two years ago he was afraid of everything. What a little man he has grown to be.

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    We had a similar thing with a busybone dental treat and my shepherd. Fortunately my husband was watching and helped remove a piece seemingly stuck. Scary stuff!

9. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    It's official. We have sold our farm and are moving out of the country and into town next month. It will be interesting to see how Tin adjusts to being a town dog. Actually it will also be interesting to see how I adjust as I haven't lived in town since 1975!
    My biggest concern will be the 3 days of moving but, I think he is strong enough now to handle it. The barn cats are coming with us so they will have to learn to be indoor kitties. Let's see, 2 - 10 year olds and one about 15 or more.
    The horses will go to their new boarding facility 2 weeks before we move so that they can settle in and we can prep the barn for the new owners. Wish us luck!

10. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    That's a huge change - best of luck!