Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do you give heartworm medicine?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by melbell, Jul 29, 2014.

Do you give heartworm medicine?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    89.8%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    So, we are going to be moving in two weeks back to PA. I always gave Ruutu Trifexis because of us living in the swamp area of NC. Honey got Trifexis once moving down here, but never did before. I was curious to how many people give heart worm protection and where you live. I am debating whether to continue their dosages or to discontinue them.

2. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    We live in western NY, I give Trifexis year round. But, I am thinking about only doing it for part of the year... one more thing to add to my list of things to chit chat with the vet about. I know they will have us do a test before going back on in the spring.

His breeder, in the Finger Lakes region, if I remember correctly, does not treat for heart worm.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I give heartworm meds but every six weeks, not every four. Veterinary research shows that it's effective for that long and not necessary to dose every four weeks. I discontinue it from December to March when it's cold here in the Northeast.

4. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks for mentioning the off months Ann, I wasn't sure what they actually were, and I will ask to about the 6 weeks vs 4 weeks thing too.

And when I said his breeder doesn't treat heartworm... I meant they don't give preventatives... big difference I guess :eek:

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I'm in Texas. I give Trifexis year-round.

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Heartgard all year. We tested for MDR1

7. melbell

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    See down here I gave it all year long. But up there I don't know if it's necessary or if I can skip winter months then restart it but you have to get tested then don't you?

8. PatC

PatC Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012
    P
    Eastern PA here. I give Interceptor year-round.

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Good info Ann. We have no winter to speak of so we are year-round. Would love to increase the scheduling. I do flea/tick every 5 weeks because they also said it lasts longer than a month. Maybe I shall move the HW to a 5 week schedule. It makes a difference in the course of a lifetime.

Of course, right now we are on a "deworming" use too as the pup came with a belly full of large roundworms and I am routing out everyone until another fecal proves I got them all.

10. melbell

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I currently give Trifexis once a month and then both of mine wear tick collars. Trifexis covers fleas for me though.