Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Wet vs, Dry?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Fasb's Owner, May 7, 2014.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but how many of the members here feed their sheltie wet food? We give Fasb a little wet food from time to time - very little: occasionally, I scoop some out the tin and spread it over the dry just enough to flavor the dry food.

I'm thinking of either switching to a wet food diet or at least giving him wet food more often (as a meal, instead of just to flavor the dry). Over the past year, Fasb has stopped eating as well. He still eats twice a day and cleans his bowl, but he piddles with his food and often needs some attention to get him to come over and eat.

He never fails to finish his meal, but it can be a hassle. He's a good body weight. Our vet feels it's behavioral. It most likely is. Fasb's gotten used to getting attention from us while he eats. Additionally, we've been more lenient with treats and the occasional table scrap than we used to be. Fasb's 11 years old. When he had health issues last year, the wife and I realized he's probably nearing the last part of his life. We're pushovers for him. I'd prefer to feed an elderly dog food he likes for his last couple years than insist that he eat dry food to maintain his teeth and weight (weight and teeth are both good, btw). It's been obvious for awhile now that he doesn't really like the taste of dry food. He tends to still wolf down moist food and treats.

Anyhow, thoughts? How many people reading this feed their dogs moist food?

Thanks.

2. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    My Bambi has been gone for over 4 years now, but I always feed her wet, she didn't like the dry. So for the "teeth cleaning", I gave her carrots and green peppers. I made her a "salad" twice a week with carrots, green peppers, green giant sliced mushrooms and chicken chunks (in the foil pouch next to the tuna). Her vet approved it, there was nothing in there to add weight and she loved it, it gave her the impression she was getting "people" food. Bambi was 11 1/2 when I had to help her cross the Bridge. Hope this helps. :fl

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I've given up on kibble all together a couple of years ago. I find it much easier to keep them trim with wet food. I feed mine twice a day. They get cooked food (meat and veg) or tinned for their main meal, and a couple of chicken necks and any left overs for their other meal. I also give them a lamb shank once a week to keep their breath fresh.

Deska's teeth have actually been much better since I switched from kibble and I think that's the regular chicken necks. So would recommend adding in something chewy to the mix for his teeth.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

There is nothing wrong with feeding some wet food, though I still believe in some amount of kibble or other dental remedies for their teeth. Shelties have notoriously bad teeth.

At 11 your baby deserves extra care. Though I agree the piddling is worrisome. Have they looked into bladder or kidney infection? It could also be just loss of control triggered by eating....kinda like a puppy...or over stimulated dog.

5. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    We feed our two dry food w/a little wet mixed in. Roxie gets 1/2 c dry, Forrest gets 1 c dry. Then I mix in some Alpo (yes Alpo)- a can lasts two days so approx. 1/4 can. And a handful of fresh or frozen green beans. Oh, and a few dental kibble (T-D). That's dinner, breakfast isn't so fancy, they just get dry then. Forrest was getting pretty fussy but he's been eating like a piggy for the year or so we've had him on added wet food.

It's funny, Roxie is insatiable but Forrest is much more picky, and he was half starved when he was found in the woods, with a snout full of porcupine quills to prove it. Yet he'd rather play or be with Daddy than eat any day. He hates missing out on anything going on, so one of us stays nearby while he eats. Okay, it's to keep Roxie from pillaging his dinner too. :winkgrin: She eats approx. 10 ft. away then saunters casually towards his area, I can hear her thinking 'just act casual' as she does it. Gets busted every time!

6. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I'd give a smaller amount of dry with some fresh meat thrown in. I'm not a big fan of canned dog food; it doesn't seem to be good for the teeth.

7. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    I had always fed dry kibble to my dogs for the same reasons mentioned - it would help clean their teeth.

Piper needed dental cleanings every 8 months in spite of the dry food.

I switched to Fresh Pet (a wet food) and sprinkle some ClenzADent on their food at one meal each day.

I do give chewy treats to help clean their teeth (Fresh Pet turkey bacon and Emu chews). But very few dry treats.

My dogs, including Piper, now only need dental cleanings about every 16 months (cha-ching!)

8. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    I think you misunderstood me. Do you think I meant he was going to the bathroom, relieving himself? No, nothing like that. By piddling, I meant he procrastinates. Walks around the room, sniffs his bowl, walks away, comes back, nibbles a bit, walks away again. Until about 9 months ago, he would eat steadily and generally devoured his food very quickly.

Seems to be completely behavioral. It's been obvious for several years that he really preferred other things to dry food.

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Totally misunderstood.....I thought you meant he was dribbling urine while eating! :lol: Stupid me!

It could be his teeth as well. He is obviously hungry if he is eventually finishing.

Yeah, at 11 I would relax and feed him what he wants to eat in a quick sitting as long as it's good food. I don't agree with a protracted feeding though. Put it down, give him one half hour, then pick it up.

You might consider raw food too.

10. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Probably not his teeth. He had a teeth cleaning back in February. Had two pulled, the rest are in good shape according to vet.

Generally, it takes 15-20 min at most to get him to clean his bowl. No protracted feeding. He used to wolf down his food in 5=10.

In general, he eats fine. He shows normal interest in almost anything besides dry food. Think he's learned to can get moist (at least a little, to flavor the dry) if he holds out.

I think we're just going to switch to a wet food diet (at least in part). Probably have a few more questions. He probably doesn't have that much more time when he'll really feel like eating, a couple years at most. I'd just as soon he enjoy his meals more.