Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What does "white factor" have to do with anything?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by 2GoodDogs, Jun 30, 2014.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    The two girl (blue merle) puppies are taking shape, one is "heavily white factored"

I don't know how to interpret that, other than she has a thick white mane, white up to the hock on a back leg, and probably white front legs.

So, does that "heavily white factored" come with any limitations? I don't think she will be show quality, and it would make no difference in a performance/pet. If she is show quality, it only makes a difference if she were to be bred, right?

White feet, white/pink nails?

2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I don't think there are any limitations unless she has some white in places you wouldn't normally see white, like right in the middle of her back. Then you couldn't show. Yes, you would want to pay attention to who she's bred to because you could end up with some CHWs.. unless of course you don't mind :biggrin2:.

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Sca says white factoring makes you handsome and gets a lot of compliments

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    And when you are a merle the whole world thinks you are an Aussie with a tail! But that's OK, it starts conversations that lead to a great deal of petting and even, gasp, cookies!

~ Melli

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ember is heavily white factored with body spots-which is a fault.

Diva was heavily white factored with no body spots which is not faulted. She never produced a CHW.

6. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Thanks, good to know. It is mere cosmetics, but a white spot on the body, is a fault to the breed ring...

Well, if we liken it to chrome on a truck.... well, I could have a real beauty on my hands! :)

I like both the girls, the temparaments and aptitudes will have to show me the way... (and the breeder, because she knows her puppies best!)

7. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Just a clarification you can show a dog with a visible white body spot it is just a fault. However, it can not be over 50% white.

Not don't be fooled into thinking there are not dogs with white body spots being shown that you can not see. Some people are great hair dressers. It will show up in your breeding program down the line. I guess it is what is important to one as a breeder.

8. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Breed a true white factored dog to another white factored dog, and there is a chance for a color headed white. I think CH shelties are beautiful myself, and there is no genetic problems like in double merles; they just are DQ from showing in AKC. UKC allows them, however.

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I must say the one CHW I saw at a Sheltie dog show was stunning! She was competing in agility. Lovely little girl.

10. Matsuki

Matsuki Forums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2015
    Tokyo, Japan