Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rally Beginner Success!

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by CharlieBrown, Aug 14, 2014.

1. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Forums Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Grafton
    So a few weeks ago I posted a thread about being nervous for my first ever rally trial.

I am pleased to announce that Charlie Brown and I qualified our first run with 87/100 and qualified our second run with 88 points that actually gave us 3rd place!!

I did stuff up a little though. For the call front, step back 1, 2, 3, Charlie sat in the wrong position and I wasn't sure how many points I'd lose for that so I did a retry and then he sat wrong again (GAH!). Found out its only a one point deduction for 'out of position' so instead of only loosing 3 points for the 3 bad sits I lost 6 points, 3 for the retry and 3 for the out of position sits. After looking at the score board after this realization, if I hadn't retried we would have got 1st place! Oh well, lesson learnt.

I would just like to thank everyone for their kind words of encouragement and tips about the nerves. Yes I still wanted to throw up during the entire course lol but I kept thinking that I probably wasn't the only one feeling like that.

Here is a picture of Charlie and I after the day. Charlie was so tired and could hardly keep his eyes open for the photo.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152151246485373&l=ba520e482f
    and another just during the day
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152151113845373&l=19277a7434

We have entered in another trial in a few weeks time so hopefully we will gain our 3rd qualifying score and then our RN title!!

Enjoy!

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I like "Rescue Remedy" -- not for the dog, for myself! It was very helpful during our CGC.

I realize Agility will kill me knee, rally will make me sick to my stomach. I think we are going to head off after nosework, but not barn hunt because I feel bad for the rat.

3. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Forums Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Grafton
    What is nosework? is that like tracking?
    and what is barn hunt?

Yes I have a little bottle of rescue remedy now thanks :)

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    We are going to start with scent classes and if we are any good wander off tracking things. I would like to be able to track lost pets. I met someone who did that years ago and still does in another city. Urban tracking of pets who have escaped a yard.

Barn hunt is a course + finding a rat in a tube hidden. But I like rats and have had them as pets as a child and they feel fear so I am against it on a moral basis. I know the rats are safe and treated well the rest of the time, but I am pretty sure when the dog is hunting them they are a bit upset by that.

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    :lol: How true!!!

Congrats, Charlie! Colonel Underpants loved Rally when he could still do it.

6. Cazj

Cazj Forums Regular

Jun 8, 2013
    Uk
  7. fuzbuttsheltie

fuzbuttsheltie Forums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011
    Maryland
    First time in the ring in nearly any sport, coupled with a canine teammate is nerve wrenching, so congratulations on a job well done! Nothing terrible happened and even though you wanted to throw up, you didn't! I hope you can see that with more knowledge of the rules and practice your ring nerves will vanish.

I haven't used Rescue Remedy but many of my friends have tried it and they like it.

Good job Charlie Brown!!

Dani
    OTCh Staymat Magnificent Journey UDX, OM2
    Armitage Dazzling Spun Gold CDX, RAE
    Double Dare Derrick CD, RAE
    Blackmyst Poker Face CDX, RN

8. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Good job!! Congrats. It gets easier after the first time.

9. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Congratulations! You will always remember that first time, your Novice A dog!

10. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on a job well done! Trust me, it DOES get easier & more enjoyable as you go on.