Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Diet dog food...

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by 2GoodDogs, Jun 11, 2014.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I just read a post in another forum that advises not to feed a diet dog food.

I just invested ($70) in a bag of Nature's Variety Instinct with Raw Boost, Healthy Weight formula, (Chicken) in hopes of taking about 7 lbs off my big boy.

Do I take it back to the store???

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
  3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    That was the first thing I looked up too. I've never heard there's anything wrong with feeding a lower calorie food, especially if that's what your dog needs. I'll let others chime in, but if it's a 5 star food.. I don't see the problem.

What was the other forum's reason against it? Fillers or something?

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I also did a lot of research on this topic. I went with lowest calories ranked against more or less good quality and availability to me.

What I found is that looking at the Kcal per cup, most diet foods had as much or more calories than what I was feeding (TOTW high prairie which is the only thing my shepherd tolerates).

The only accessble to me one that I found lower in calories than the TOTW I feed, was Avoderm. I bought a bag. I found that ALL that, Mel didn't tolerate well but at least some TOTW mixed in helped keep the solid stools. I also found TOTW high prairie puppy has right about equivalent calories to the diet so we switched to TOTW puppy instead of adult and it works marvously for both dogs and Mel has indeed lost weight. We went from 38 pounds to 35 in a couple months. She's chubby still but if I do anything too dramatic in reduction of amount of food she becomes violent and horrible to live with.

Yes, most diet foods have a lot of fillers. Not sure of your brand though, I don't think I saw it. Just evaluate the kcal per cup because a lot of diet foods aren't so diet when compared to regular foods in calorie count. That was my issue, actual calories, versus the idea of "don't feed diet food" blanket comment, per se, though I wanted fairly high quality ingredients too.

5. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    737 k cals a cup...

I will make the switch and see how he does with it. I'll start at his normal amount (1/2 cup twice a day) and then start reducing by a Tbls. at a time (each meal) and supplement with green beans or carrots.

Haha Melli, 'becomes violent' - LOL, Justus gets dramatic when he's hungry too!

6. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Okay, glad I double checked that...

The recommended calories per day for my dog is 727kcal.
    The healthy weight food is 363kcals per cup.
    The regular chicken and raw boost is 454kcals per cup.

So... he will be getting 91 fewer calories a day, if I don't blow it and let him lick my ice cream cone...

:)

It takes me a reduction of 3500 calories to lose a pound, wonder how many for a dog to lose a pound, hmmmm....

We are upping our exercise too. He gets FitPaws for 10 mins. a day, and a 3 mile walk.... (the walking is for my benefit too!)

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Check the protein and fibre content as well.

When I was researching for Indy' s weight loss program, the overall recommendation was high protein and fibre as well. Protein to burn and fibre to fill em up without calories.

I spent a lot of time reading food labels at my store and finally decided his current food (now! Senior) was fine, but he just needed to eat a little less and replace with wet food or veggies for extra fill. So far, he has lost a whole pound! :eek:

Other brands I was looking at was Natural Balance Fat Dog and Wellness Core Reduced fat and Original. I still might switch.

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Wow. That is a good calorie level. If rated well on ingredients it sounds a great option.

Seriously, Melli gets violent -- like attacks the dog twice her size after meals or pretty much any time. Just gets overall really really pissy and glad to use her teeth.

9. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I think that's probably an OK food.

But any of the grainy foods with a "diet" version, well, you might as well just feed corn and more corn, and some soy. I've never been impressed with diet foods, because it seems like they take out all the useful bits and fill it full of carbs. This makes dogs fat in predictable ways, and I firmly believe it shortens their lives by decreasing organ function. Dogs aren't humans, they need fat and protein for energy. "Low fat" is a human thing, not a dog thing.

But I'd probably be OK with anything in the InstinctRaw line. I like their stuff.

10. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    We started this morning. I put the kibble in his wobble toy, so it will take him more than 3 seconds to eat... :)

I put a few green beans in the fridge, for a snack when I get home from work.

We can do this! I need to get him weighed...

And, for his wrestling, running workout - we are borrowing a friends border collie (11 mos. old) for the weekend. :)