Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Spruce (aka Leo), starter agility fun practice

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Toffee's Mom, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I haven't really done a whole lot of agility with him, so today Toffee got to do lure coursing and I took Spruce out by himself and we had a blast, working with new things like tire and the chute.
    He's on when he's on and when he isn't running he was super calm and went to his crate to chill, door open and he was allowed to hang out if he wanted to.
    But as soon as he knew it was turn the switch came on, and it was kinda hazy hot today, too.
    I am having real fun with this guy, so grateful he's a natural, despite his handler! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk37v_LhZ-4

2. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    That was brilliant Irene! Spruce is a little star, so attentive to you and really wanting to work. I loved him standing on the chute, going 'is this a strange jump or something?' Nothing fazes him does it?

Oh and you have sunshine! So, so jealous as I look out on another rainy day!

3. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Toffee's Mom:

I loved the video. It looks like you and Spruce were having a great deal of fun. If you have some time, would you talk a little bit about how/why you decided to use the little fetch toy you were using in the video. Did you use it from the beginning of the training or was it employed in response to an issue that you were trying to train away? Has Spruce been running agility in trials yet, or are you still working up to that point?

The reason I am asking is that I am wondering if you anticipate issues when running in competition because Spruce is used to getting to play with the fetch toy and becomes disinterested when its not there. It looks like a great training aid, I'm just wondering if it will require additional training later to break his expectation of getting the toy.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Spruce looked like he was having a blast! I loved it when he wasn't sure which way to go he would turn to you, as if he was asking "Whats next Mom?! What do I do next?!":lol: Such a sweetie!

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Spruce looks good! He looks like he's have a blast. You're gonna have to get your running shoes ready for him. I can see him getting faster and faster the more confident he becomes.

6. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Good question
    there will NEVER be an expectation that he won't get to play, eventually. Agility is always in my opinion, your interaction with the dog and the dog playing with you! ;)
    The training is so that he gets a high value reward AWAY/AHEAD of me and creating drive for what I want which is 'u see a jump u take a jump, unless I am indicating another obstacle with my body language'... In the beginning, like where I am with Spruce, you reward a LOTTTT (or at least I do... that creates focus and drive and helps with distractions, so the dog knows all amazing things come from me) as you progress you can reward longer distances, longer sequences, but each time you train something new I continue to bring out the toy/treat pouch whatever the best toy is for ur dog, Toffee loves his ball, and Spruce can work for toys as well now, but for the time being he loves food more, still.

7. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks Toffee's Mom. Please keep us posted on how things are going with Spruce's training.

8. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    YAYYY sunshine! Makes me happy! lol
    the chute was hilarious, only second time he saw one I think? I was amazed that I could HOLD the darn thing and SEND him in on the other side, lol
    We need to fix our tire, lol But it's coming along, I will start weaves this week and maybe contacts, if I can remember HOW lolllll
    He does hand target but I think I teach plate nose touch first tho ;)

9. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have Spruce' brother Birch and Birch is the most toy driven dog I have ever had. I started training him with a toy and food depending on the thing I was teaching.

At some point the chance to do more agility has slowly overtaken the food and the toy as the highest reward. I have seen Birch run by a toy and over a food target and look back at me like "ok whats next?" too bad he has a slow handler. He would be atleast 2x as fast and he is fast.

10. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I told her that. :lol: Birch is already outrunning me. Thats why I have lost almost 25lbs and I am walking/running every day. I can't keep up with him and he is a good boy and runs as fast as i do. He does have good distance but if I run into a straight away he tends to peel back into me if he gets too far ahead and takes the wrong thing. Working more on the go on command at this point too.