Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shot effectiveness

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Mom2Melli, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    We have only gone to the small locally owned pet store, and have not tried on collars or mouthed any toys.

I'll sure be glad when all of this extra care is behind us and we can be a little more free.

I won't miss the mouthy stage and can't wait to be done with house training. I know I have a long way to go on that though.

2. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I have worked in 3 animal shelters and have seen what parvo can do...sad

3. Jeff

Jeff Forums Regular

Aug 13, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I guess I'm pretty lucky where I live. There isn't really a parvo problem at all. 75 minutes south of me there's a city where the municipal shelter has had some issues with it but that's really it for any outbreaks in my area. Maybe it's just to cold in the winter or maybe enough people vaccinate that it isn't able to spread as well. Either way I feel bad for those of you who really really have to worry about it.

4. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    It's quite easy to train a soft mouth, so long as you are very consistent about not rewarding any bite pressure, just say OUCH or something similar and take your hand away, stop playing, put the pup down or turn your back on it. They soon pick up that nipping doesn't get them anything good. Make sure you have things they are allowed to chew on, and reward that instead.

Any behavior you don't want to see in an adult you need to not reward or encourage in a puppy.

It seems like forever at the time, but the puppy thing is really over before you know it.

5. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I'm not quite as paranoid, and I'm a big believer in natural immunity (i.e. immunity from environment). I live on a corner, with an open fence, and lots of dogs walked down my side yard. My dogs are probably exposed to all kinds of things just by living where I do.

My puppies don't get their first shot until 9 or 10 weeks. By that point, they have been in my yard, to the agility farm, the sheep farm, my parents house, some friends houses with known dogs, etc.

Then they get a shot at 9/10 weeks, and a shot at 16 weeks. At 16 weeks, they can start going to shows and other ickier places.

The puppy I just bought had combo shots at 7, 10, and 14 weeks (I gave the 14 week, and I sorely regret it). He also had a rabies shot at 12 weeks (per PA law). He is the only dog I have with digestion issues. As I'm also a firm believer that immune problems show up in digestion, I think we shot his immune system all to hell early, and it's still recovering.

So the answer is balance in where you take them versus risk. The puppies have to be socialized. Keeping them in the house until 16+ weeks is a recipe for disaster.

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I don't think they need to be kept in the house never seeing another soul, but walking them around (here in Central CA) is a direct ticket to parvo. I think carry-throughs of places and rides in the car and visits to the right places are really important.

Almost everyone I know with dogs has had a puppy with parvo. They learn and the next time they either don't get one until shots are complete or they do a series of 4 or even 5. Yes, the vets here will actually recommend FIVE puppy shots.

Now the husky breeder, she does 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and then titers at 16 and tries to avoid it if possible and just gives rabies at 16 weeks. She says she has rarely given that 16 week shot.

It is SO bad here that no boarding, training, or grooming will take them without THREE or more puppy shots if under 1 year.

I had no idea that Central CA is THAT bad, but we have mild winters and warm springs and falls. We have A LOT of people who don't vaccinate dogs and if they live, they live and if they die "poor puppy". We have that going on a couple properties over from us. They have 2 pits left to roam and breed. Puppies either are given away at 6 weeks or don't make it.

I was NOT thrilled Cubby was started on shots at 6 weeks. I expected 7 or 8 so I just salvaged a schedule as best I could. The breeder my friend's golden came from does and demand 5.5, 9, 12, 15, with rabies at 17. She sets up the appointments for you at the vet she uses. After 17 weeks you can see your own vet. Her vet has a 3 of her dogs and she trusts this person to examine and treat puppies her way. Now either we really really have a problem or everyone in our valley (from vets, to breeders, to public) are slightly nuts.

I wish it weren't this way, but I will just have to really make it a point to go, go, go next month.

7. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Wow - we are so much luckier here in Canada. I just avoided dog parks ( still don't go), floor at the vet and pet stores until after the shots. She came everywhere with us and especially for lots of car rides, as I made that mistake with my first two and the both got carsick every single time we went out.

We went to puppy socialization before her third set of shots (which she got part way through the classes) as the trainer feels that early socialization is critical.

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Definitely critical -- however here that involves carrying and handy wipes (disinfectant).

I have been taking Cubby on weekly car trips to work on the carsick. It's getting better and I hope soon will disappear. On Sept. 6, we will spend 10 hours in the car (5 hours each way) and that should help.

I really wish we didn't have so big a problem where I live, but if a breeder refuses to even breed for spring/summer puppies AT ALL, what does that say? All her puppies are winter puppies.

9. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I just pulled out Watson's vax records from when he was a pup- he was done at 8, 12, 17 weeks with the combo shot. I don't remember when he ended up getting the rabies... whenever NY requires it I imagine. I wonder why they waited 5 weeks between the second and third rounds... maybe a titer that was low or rabies was at 16. Things I didn't know about the first time around, but then he wasn't a wee little pup like you guys have... they had him for 9 months before we got him. I know they said he had been to shows when he was little.