Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

short haired puppy?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by sierrajordon, Aug 25, 2014.

1. sierrajordon

sierrajordon Forums Novice

Aug 25, 2014
    NC
    Hi! We just got our sheltie puppies yesterday. He didn't come from the best breeder. He has fleas and ticks all over him. We saw the mother and father and the father was long haired and the mother was short haired but her parents were both long haired. The breeder also said that someone told her that it could take two years for the female to grow her coat. Our puppy who is 9 weeks today is short haired. We would really like to know if hopefully his coat will grow out?

2. Jeff

Jeff Forums Regular

Aug 13, 2014
    Massachusetts
    If I had to guess and from the sounds of this breeder I'd put money in my guess being right, that you pup is a mixed breed not a pure breed sheltie. I'd get him to the Vet straight away. Flea and tick infestations can bring all kinds of nasty diseases particularly with a puppy. I'd also guess he's not been socialized at all so you'll probably want to really work on that to try and catch him up. Good luck. I know you probably love him but in the future I'd stay away from any breeder like that and honestly probably call the ASPCA to look into them.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    If you post a link to a photo site like FB, Photobucket, etc. and set the pic to public we could probably tell you more.

How short is short?

4. sierrajordon

Aug 25, 2014
    NC
  5. sierrajordon

Aug 25, 2014
    NC
  6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    The link didn't work for me. Is the permission set to public?

7. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Your links don't work. Can you re-post the picture?

8. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Sierra - your puppy does not look like a purebred sheltie. Go browse some of the pictures here or just google sheltie puppy images, and you will see the differences. I woudl guess that the coat isn't going to grow out much but really only time will tell. If you wanted to know for sure what else is in there you could do some genetic testing.

Unless you go with a registered breeder you can't be sure what you are getting is 100% sheltie - that doesn't matter if you like the dog you chose.

9. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    The second link worked for me but i had to wait a bit for it to load.

10. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    He has Sheltie marking (blaze, sable colored), but he has a smooth coat.. as in, he's not fluffy enough. He doesn't look old enough to be going through the gangly coyote looking stage, and even then, I've never seen a coat get that smooth. He reminds me of a smooth collie mix. Pure bred Sheltie or not, he can still be a wonderful companion!