Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dingleberries!

Discussion in 'Favorites' started by PennyInGA, Oct 3, 2008.

1. PennyInGA

PennyInGA Forums Regular

Jun 25, 2008
    Georgia
    Klingons, poo puffs, whatever you want to call them. I've never had a long-haired dog before, so this is astounding me :lol:

We try to keep her rear section trimmed clear, but is there anything else we should be doing?

2. Narmowen

Narmowen Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2008
    All you can really do is keep a clear channel trimmed! Some Shelties seem to really get them, and others never do!

3. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I have the same problem with Sadie, yet Milo, my parents sheltie has NEVER had this problem and he's got a much fuller coat than Sadie does (she's still only 13 months old while Milo is 7.)

I'd love it if some sheltie owners have some trick that I don't know about. I trim around her rectum regularly, as well as some of the fur below it but it doesn't seem to help much. :dead:

4. Narmowen

Narmowen Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2008
    I have to trim a channel straight down from her hole...like this: ||...right into/through their feathers, otherwise, it doesn't work.

Selena Wohlslagel likes this.
  5. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Thats more or less what I try to do, maybe I need to take a bit more off. I'll give your suggestion a try.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

OK, but if you are showing your dog, you have to be careful how how much you trim else the tail won't sit right on the haunches.

My groomer used to take off too much, for exactly this problem - but because Timber wasn't a show dog, it was either that, or deal with the mess.

btw - someone suggested using baby wipes to help with clean-up! It was a brilliant idea!

7. PennyInGA

PennyInGA Forums Regular

Jun 25, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks! We'll try the "||" method of trimming. We do use the wipes, but sometimes the sneaky little dingleberries just seem to appear out of nowhere!

8. Josh and Jess

Josh and Jess Forums Regular

Sep 5, 2008
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Dingleberries

I have the same problem with Jessie, whereas Josh never gets them... The "II" method works pretty well though and is just about all I can do for her :rolleyes2:

It's a bit frustrating that she never tells me when they are there... I have to keep checking what's going on under the tail! ::razz:

9. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Ditto

Yes I have one here also, and one that never has those. I keep trimming, but I quess I have to go a bit further with this. I even get a smear on the tail.

I use the wipes, and I use this massage stuff that smells good to clean her up. What really is something, I have to scrub her bottom, or otherwise she would have pee crust on her. The "DIVA" comes to me to clean her up.

Thanks for the tip on the trimming!

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    That's my method! Layla's coat is silky and repels dirt, burs, and poop. Annie is the same way. Bits, on the other hand, has coarser hair and plenty of it. She gets a serious channel-cut. We call it the "poop chute!" :lol: