Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie teeth

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by bkzoo, May 8, 2014.

1. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I saw on a different thread that someone mentioned that Shelties are notorious for bad teeth.

I need some education please...I tried to keep a schedule of brushing Trace's teeth every Sunday evening. Since his passing, I am hoping for a new little boy and need advice. Is once a week ok?

2. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    My vet said brushing less than 3x a week was ineffective.

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Yes, it was me that posted that comment.

Maybe I should be more specific in saying that certain lines have a greater tendency to bad teeth. But these lines are quite common in Eastern Canada and Eastern US. Though my vet has also told me that he sees more dental issues with Shelties than many other breeds

I agree. I would try to brush teeth 2x per week. You can add additive to water to help loosen plaque and tartar ( eg Tropiclean) And regular dental bones, greenies, antlers, etc.

It's worthwhile to invest now. Getting dogs teeth descaled requires anaesthetic and therefore very expensive.

4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Even feeding raw, both boys get tartar on their front teeth (back are fine). So I am trying to set up a routine to brush their front teeth every nite before bed or every other at least. I bought a baby toothbrush. I think it works better than the ones they sell for dogs.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    My vet told me that long nosed dogs are more prone to dental issues because they don't have as much saliva making it's way to the front. So bones can be enough to clean the back teeth but something extra is needed for the front teeth.

Tully's teeth are now a problem since I've kept her away from tennis balls. They are so abrasive that they're great for cleaning teeth, unfortunately they also wear them down, a lot. The vet used to just clean the tartar off with his finger tips in our normal consults, but the tartar has gotten too caked on. And I recently found out that after the hip replacement vet teeth cleaning is a really complicated thing. She is really difficult when I try to brush, so I've just brought a cleaning gel - I'll see how that compares with the brushing.

Also the type of toothpaste makes a difference. Deska really likes the taste of the beef toothpaste I use now so brushing is pretty easy. I used to use children's toothbrushes, but I find the long dog toothbrush with the small and big ends easier to use, as the small end is a really good size for Tully's little mouth. And I can pick them up cheap at the $2 shops (discount variety type stores).

6. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    While Olive is prone to acquiring more plaque, she always gets compliments from the vet about how clean her teeth are. Here's our routine:
    -1/2 scoop of Proden Plaque off with her dinner (she doesn't seem to mind the taste, goes back throughout the evening to lick her bowl cleaner)
    - one elk antler section and several other tough chew toys (elk seems to hold up better than deer with her)
    - Brushing several times a week with a child sized toothbrush and a canine toothpaste (think we use Kissable). I tend to brush her teeth after I brush mine at night while I'm waiting for water to warm up to wash my face (we have a lousy hot water system)

My sheltie growing up had awful teeth so I'm a bit obsessive about Olive's

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    My routine is similar to Greenpony's. With 5, it's tough to brush them every day! I brush once a week with a product like Tropiclean and feed ProDen Plaque Off daily. It's very inexpensive and lasts forever because you feed so little. I also spray their teeth a few times a week with Oxyfresh.

Barkley and Checkers have both had veterinary cleanings at age 7. Pixie is 8 and is still OK. Lacey's teeth look good at age 3 so I'm hoping to avoid cleaning with she and baby Ruffles on this regimen.

8. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    It's too early to tell with Dickens, but at 20 months his teeth are still very white with no apparent plaque buildup. I give him a cup of dry food per day and several treats of very tough, leathery beef jerky that I make for him myself. He gets a meaty short-rib bone once a week, and an 8-inch bully stick either once per week or when he manages to get through one, whichever is latest. He gets a raw chicken thigh with the bone in twice per week. Several times a week I take an old cotton sock and make a game of running it back and forth laterally across the inside of his mouth. He gets no starches or sugars to eat apart from what's in his dry food. I'm hoping that this will keep his teeth nice-looking and sound over the course of his life.

9. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the replies. IF I get a puppy soon (due date is today) I will sure do better with the teeth than once a week brushing.

Have never heard of ProDen Placque Off - will have to research that. Also need to study up on antlers - I saw they have a new display of them at PetCo today and I would have no clue what to purchase, are they safe etc.. And bully sticks? Bought "the boys" those once & the smell gagged me. I thought they were simply an obnoxious treat - didn't realize they would help keep teeth clean.

We did buy a gel and also a water treatment (Fresh Dental brand) at Target a while back and I think it did help a little to soften the tartar so the vet just scraped it off with his fingernail.

While Trace's teeth weren't "bad" I want the next Sheltie to have a bright, white smile like I see in all the photos posted here. :biggrin2:

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I would hold off an antlers, unless they are specifically designated for "puppy". They are very hard and might break off teeth too early. Look for antlers with lots of marrow or nobby edges. The marrow encourages chewing, and the edges act like dental floss.

Yes, you can get "puppy" antlers....I sell them in my store....they are softer.

Bully sticks are great for teeth, but might lead to stinky breath! I sell water buffaloe bullies that are stink free however!

The anti-plaque gel and water additive I use is by Tropiclean.

Good luck! I've not started brushing Callan's teeth yet....that's next weeks project! I did manage to get his nails trimmed this week. He will be 11 weeks on Monday!