Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Are Breed DNA Tests Legit??

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by LewdAwaken, Feb 17, 2014.

1. LewdAwaken

LewdAwaken Forums Novice

Sep 12, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    Okay, so I'm those kind of people who always wonder. Always.
    I've been looking online at DNA tests that supposedly show...
    THE BREED(s) OF YOUR DOG?!
    I'm very tempted to spend some money just to see the results of Splinter's test. I mean... I was told when I got him he was a "Mini Sheltie" (ugh I think not. It sickens me to even think about how the term has came up..)
    Has anyone else done these before, on a Sheltie or other breed? Are you as skeptical as I am?
    I FINALLY have pictures of my babycakes, Splinter!
    I'll post them in reply to this thread soon. :)

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I know plenty of people that have used the tests. It's fun finding out. The results are often surprising. One person with a dog that looked like a lab actually had some Malamute and Pom in it - go figure - altho the % of each was only small, but it did show the dog had a long pedigree of mongrel breedings:lol:. What has been an even bigger surprise is the number of poodle x that aren't exactly what was expected, incl a couple of labradoodles that were all poodle!

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    From what my vet says, they are accurate. I know people who have had them done too. The results are almost always surprising, but make sense when you look at the dog. Let us know what happens if you do it!

4. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    After living with the Wild Child, Jonesie Dream for 2 years, I broke down and did an DNA test on her, just to satisfy my curiosity.

At quick glance, she looks much like a Sheltie, but not exactly . . .

Her test results:
    55% Sheltie
    17.5% Bloodhound
    17.5% Rhodesian Ridgeback
    5% Golden Retriever
    5% Maltese

There are 3 big breeds listed in her genetics test, yet Jonesie only weighs 16 lbs. So, I question the accuracy, although it did pull mostly Sheltie results.

At any rate, it was kind of interesting.

5. Mitchy

Mitchy Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2012
    Idaho, USA
    I haven't done one, but my mom did. She had rescued a female cocker spaniel, AKC registered that a breeder re-homed to some people (unspayed), and then the people took her to the pound. My parents picked her up, she was malnourished and worn out (had puppies every cycle for 8 years). They were letting her get healthier before getting her spayed. Well she was pregnant, and come to find out the home she went to first had her running, and well, she found a man.

They sent off the DNA test not telling anything about the mom at all, as we knew what mom was and wanted to use it as a verifier of accuracy. Came back as:

50% Cocker Spaniel
    50% Alaskan Malamute

seems accurate, they are bigger than cockers, but smaller than malamutes. Both have that malamute chatter!

6. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    The BBC had a programme about dogs on last year and they did one of these tests on a Cockapoo that some people had bought from a 'reputable' breeder. They were 100% certain it was cockapoo, turned out there was no Cocker spaniel in her at all, rather Springer Spaniel x Poodle. Ooops!