Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rally collar?

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Mom2Melli, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    What kind of collar can you have for Rally Novice A? I see some things indicating chain/slip/martingale OK and others saying flat buckle.

I want to work with Melli in our regular class with the same collar I would compete with and not sure which to use.

Also, Can I leave on her collar with tags if she is worked on a second collar like a martingale or additional buckle collar? Or is the penalty for collar tags only in obedience?

Thanks. I have my eye on a couple events to try out this summer if we can step it up in class and then work on a few privates focusing just on Rally.

2. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    If you are competing in AKC, no tags are allowed on the collar. I used a martingale collar, when I was doing rally. They are good for shelties, because they tighten when there is pressure and don't slip off as easily as a regular buckle collar.

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I work Edan on a flat buckle collar for Rally but you can use a chain (like you'd use for the show ring), martingale, or flat buckle. No dangling tags are permitted for AKC or WCRL (Word Cynosport Rally League - formerly APDT).

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Exactly. I was hoping a martingale was allowed because that is about the only thing she can't Houdini out of. We have one we use for training and some general walking. We have a harness for other situations of general walking (like for hikes or around super busy city streets).

Her regular collar and tags are easy to remove slipping over the head and also to unclip the tags from the collar as they are on a clip not ring.

I will continue to work with her on the martingale and if/when we get to competition I will just remove the regular collar shortly before the ring. It's not like it's a huge amount of time you are competing.

Thanks for the answer. She does well on the martingale more for slippage than for correction with that huge ruff of hers.