Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Early Morning wake up call

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by danisgoat, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Edan and CJ have us up at 5:30 AM every morning to go out and be fed; this is the time we get up for work 5 days a week so it's their normal schedule. Luckily they will allow us to go back to bed but they are both nearly 8 years old.

Considering we are looking at bringing a puppy home in the next year-year and a a half, this discussion is definitely of interest to me.

2. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Um maybe I shouldn't respond but Celtic sleeps until & on my work days and 8:20 on non work days. Actually he just sleeps until I get up. :hide

I can say I didn't anything special he sleeps in his kennel beside my bed. I make sure he poops and pees before I go to sleep and if he wakes up before the appointed time I ignore him and maybe he gets a tap on top if the kennel which he knows means shut up. If he really needs to go to the bathroom it is a different urgency to the pitch so I don't respond to every noise he makes just as he learns to ignore most moves I make in th night. My dogs learn we are not getting up until I sit up. The adults know this well so maybe it rubbed off on him. I also do not fed anyone until we have been up awhile so I don't expereience anyone waking me up to eat.

I don't cover the kennel and it can be a wired one or a vari kennel doesn't matter.

It could be he doesn't nap in the evening but for a few seconds. I guess the advantage of the non napping puppy is sleeping at night.

3. ute_fan

ute_fan Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    You guys are all cracking me up. We had several human babies in our extended family last year, and your comments remind me of all the Mom's comments when we get together -- about how they aren't getting any sleep.

We had problems with Callie not sleeping through the night during the summer before she turned 1. We ended up moving her to a dark room in the basement, and that seemed to do the trick. These light mornings are hard on babies -- human and dog alike -- and I know my daughter's year-old has been waking up earlier than she'd like too.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    The problem with Shay is his NOSE. He comes up and finds an exposed body part and touches it with his NOSE. Instant wake up. Usually with me it is a foot. Husband, middle of back! He has always done this, usually 4:30 (we get up at 5 for work). I swat at him and ignore. Melli, unmoving. Her natural habit is 9 AM arising and 9 PM bed with one potty break at 2 PM. I will have to baby gate Shay out of the room -- loft scenario with no door too! Bleh. Puppers is sleeping in a crate!

5. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    My misery is enjoying all the company:smile2: The 5 am wake up call and out the door to walk at 5:30 is getting old and we've got two more months to go. Time for a nap!:sleepy:

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Right -- we are on vampire time too! Couple more months, hang in there!

7. windy

windy Forums Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I'm sorry you all have to go through these early mornings. I'll bet a lot of it is that your four-legged friend has trained you, as they can so slyly do.

I've been very lucky with Blithe. Since I got him at 4 months he has never wanted to go out after about 7 p.m. For weeks I would dutifully take him out and stand, waiting. Nothing. He does have a dog door, but I would go out with him, just to check on the "output". Sometimes I think it's not healthy for him to go so long, but he's very healthy.

So now he goes out at around 7 p.m. and we both go to bed around 10:30 or 11. He sleeps in his crate in my room. I do get up a couple of times a night, but don't even look at the crate, and he has never made any indication that he thinks he should get up too. He's ready to eat breakfast at 7 at the latest. At first it was 6 a.m., but I slowly inched it up to later, not responding to his bouncing off the crate walls. Sometimes I will just tell him "night-night" and he's quiet down. As long as I don't move around too much in in my bed in the morning, he'll be quiet until I'm ready to get up. He has never wanted to go outside during the night, and doesn't in the morning until after his breakfast.

I'm very thankful I've never had the sleeping problems you've had. That's one victory. :smile2: He can make up for it in other ways, though.:wink2:

8. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    I know I am a mean mommy but... I don't let the dogs boss me! Unless I know they really have to go potty they get ignored!! Trust me when you are raising a new puppy every year waking up early gets old fast! I would even get up in the mornings and do a couple of things for myself first, such as start the coffee pot and go to the bathroom myself, so they would learn that you go out when I let you out, not because you want to play.

9. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I am definitely not one to let the dogs rule me. With our family life, that is how it has to be.

My baby is only 8 weeks.

How long can he be expected to hold it? I don't want to let him scream in his crate and be in pain and end up potty in the crate. He has been amazing for a little guy with potty training, and I feel like if I let him scream, then I will lose the potty training battle.

10. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    I Guess it all boils down is he crying to go potty or just because he wants to play? If you are letting him out at 5 and he is not going within a 10 minutes then the next morning I wouldn't be so quick about letting him out at 5, wait 5-10 minutes then if he is still crying let him out to go potty, but then back in the crate he goes until the time you choose to get out of bed. It may sound like I am being mean and uncaring but the truth is I have had puppies that will try and manipulate me to letting them out when really they just want to get out of the crate. A few days of ignoring them and they decide that they really don't have to get up that early :lol:

I would have to say that by 4 months old the majority of the puppies I have raised were fine with being let out at 7am after going to bed at 10pm. At 8 weeks I believe they would want out at 4-5am then it was straight back to bed for them.

Believe me I know about lack of sleep, we have had a new guide dog puppy every year for the last 10 years, you learn what works and what doesn't, and get them sleeping through the night as fast as possible :lol: