Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shetlands in appartments

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by shetie, Jul 9, 2014.

1. shetie

shetie Forums Novice

Jul 9, 2014
    Strasbourg, France
    I was thinking of buying a shetland I live in an appartment near a park and realize they need a lot of walking. Are they dogs that could be suited to the living conditions?

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    The biggest negative you might find with an apartment sheltie is the barking. In general, shelties are pretty verbal and depending on the tolerance of your apartment neighbors this might or might not be an issue. As far as the exercise, as long as you are willing to take your pup to the park and make sure he/she gets sufficient walking and running time every day, that shouldn't be an issue. Shelties are smart and deeply devoted companions and if you do decide on a sheltie have the breeder help you select one that has a calmer personality rather than one that is more like a border collie...you would find the BC drive harder to fit into apartment living.

Trini

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I have a high drive sheltie in an apartment, and so far it's been fine. Despite the amount of barking she does at flyball, agility, and just playing with other dogs, she barely makes a peep at home. Although I think she's the exception, not the rule. Most Shelties are vocal, but I think if it's something you're on top of training-wise, you can teach a puppy that barking inside is a no-no pretty early on. As a puppy, my dog liked to bark at me for attention. When I just ignored her, she eventually realized that her barking wasn't going to get her what she wanted.

I think Shelties do pretty well in apartments if you are willing to take the time to exercise them. Mine requires a bit more exercise than I anticipated, but it's ok because I have the time and energy to keep up with her (most days :winkgrin:). If you have a park, that's great! Getting some of that energy out will help keep the barking down!

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    When I lived in an apartment with my Sheltie, the biggest issue I had was the barking. She would bark every time my neighbors went in and out of their apartment. I work with her every day to counter-condition this behavior. I didn't have much success. I think if I had lived in an apartment when she was a puppy, it would've been easier to train her, but I lived in a house for the first two years of her life.

As for exercise, I did two 20 minute walks a day, plus agility class 2x a week. And she had to be walked about 4x a day for potty breaks. You don't have the convenience of letting your dog out in the yard. You have to be prepared to walk your dog fresh out of bed in your PJs lol. And if you get a puppy, expect to go out every hour in all kinds of weather.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Yup.. I have no shame :lol:.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Same here. A friend and I have started posting on Instagram what we wore to walk our dogs. The summer isn't so bad cause I just wear like colorful boxers, plain white tee and flip flops. The winter is a lot less attractive in the morning :lol:

My favorite ones are when I have to get dressed up and want to walk Bailey right before I leave. I've walked Bailey in a bride's maid gown.

And let's not forget having to walk your dog after downing a few drinks. That's always an interesting walk...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  7. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I lived in an apartment where each downstairs had a small yard. They put all the pet owners downstairs. My neighbor had a lab. It was fine, but he was not a barker. A friend had a Maltese. I had indoor cats.

When camping, I have had to walk day/night/etc. I chose night-clothes that look like clothes sort of and just go out in them. However, camping I am most afraid of encountering a creature of the night (bear etc.). Not exactly a city occurrence.

I used to have an aussie that would refuse to potty when she knew we were heading to a gigbecause "daddy" would be gone so long and she was protesting. I would have to walk the dogs rather than send to yard to entice her. I was headed to a halloween gig decked out in "band member" costume theme walking the dogs around the block. We did get honked at since it was kind of too early for costumes on the street.

However, the key is the barking. My aussies were a lot less barky than the shelties - but they were a lot less intelligent too, so there.

8. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Bambi and I lived in an apartment for 7 of her 11 1/2 years with no problems. However, I am retired and am home all day and we walked 4-5 times a day, little 15-20 minute walks. Others are right about the early/late walks (yes, in all manner of dress! :eek: :lol:)regardless of weather, when you gotta go, you gotta go! Bambi didn't bark at anything except someone knocking on the door, then it was 2 barks and she was done. Good luck :fl, keep us posted.

9. LaddieKatieMom

LaddieKatieMom Forums Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I have always lived in an apartment and never had any problems with my shelties - barking or otherwise. They are all quite happy in their home. They get good walks X3 on weekdays (morning, when I get home from work, and bedtime) and X4 on weekends. Katie was a bed-head and just wanted to sleep on my (her) bed when she wasn't walking or eating! Laddie is rather laid back and will sleep too. Lady will get zoomies and run around the house like crazy, knock herself out and doze off (also usurping my bed while I am at work). They do fine in apartments, as the others have said, as long as they get enough walk/exercise time.

10. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Indeed, the after Happy Hour walks can be quite amusing :biggrin2: