Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Indy's weight loss

Discussion in 'General Health' started by BarbV, Jul 25, 2014.

1. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I actually knew that - my vet actually feeds his cats only wet food partially as a way to keep weight in check. My daughter has 2 overweight cats ( both adopted from the humane society that way) - I suggested she consider switching them to wet food, but cost is a factor for them as they are just starting out and also have a corgi.

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Today's weighing in at 31.2 lbs. So still making steady, slow progress.

He started at almost 36 lbs in March.

I think I'm going to start him tomorrow at 1/3 cup kibble, 2 tbsp wet twice per day. The wet food has made a difference, and he loves it but can't eat it as fast as kibble either. So inhales it less quick (I feed him in a slow feeder bowl. Makes him work....Wow! I think he burns calories just to get at that last kibble in the bowl!

Another 3 - 5 pounds, and I think he'll be ready for winter!

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    That's awesome Barb!

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Indy, you're the poster Boy for Kibble Watchers!!! :winkgrin:

5. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    It feels so good when they lose the weight they need to. I went through that with Emma - she had to lose about 3 pounds and did.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Now that is the understatement of the year! Nothing escapes Indy. He even licks my cupboards looking for drips, hovers at the garbage while dishes are scraped.....

So I'm proud I've gotten him this far without him becoming WORSE! :eek2:

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

So todays weigh in....30.6 lbs! Down from 31.2 lbs. Way to go Indy! Another 1/2 pound. Id still like to get you down to 28 lbs......can you stick with it , darling boy! ?

Little Callan aint so little now. He is a fine boned dog and already at 21.8 lb. I guess he's going on a diet soon too.

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Way to go, Indy! Callan, tell Mom you're still a growing boy!

9. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I think Indy has done fabulous, given all the changes lately. He will get to his goal weight. I know how hard it is trying to get them to loose. Trapp was at an all time high 2 summers ago...geesh he blimped right out.

And I did the same as you Barb, with feeding. My boys are now within just a few pds. of one another. Jasper is the lighter in weight, at 23#, Trapp 26#, Mia