Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Milwaukee Brewers Unofficial Mascot

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by JLSOhio51, Feb 25, 2014.

1. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I think I may have just read the neatest thing dog related that I've seen in a looong time. I saw a news link on Facebook for I Love Dogs Inc. about the Milwaukee Brewer's Major League baseball team at their spring training camp in Phoenix, Arizona.

It seems that a stray mutt wandered into the team's training facility within the last few days. The pup was a bit disheveled and dirty, but in otherwise reasonably healthy shape. Team officials cleaned him up, took him to be checked by a vet and took him to the team store for a jersey, t-shirt, leash and a few other cool things. Brewer's officials placed lost dog posters around locally and on social media, but no-one claimed the dog.

Right now, the pup is spending his days at the spring training ballpark and goes home with one of the players at night. When the season starts in Milwaukee, one of the players will become the dog's new dad. The players love having the dog around! Oh - the dog has been named Hank, after the legendary Brewer, Hank Aaron. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I think this is just the neatest story.

2. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Very nice! Brings back memories of the days when I was deployed to Kuwait City with the Pararescue squadron in the 1990s. We had a stray dog that we adopted as a mascot, getting her vaccinated, and feeding her. She loved us, and we loved her right back....

3. JLSOhio51

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    The thing that struck me the most is/was the incongruent nature of the situation. Like, your remembrance of Kuwait City. Military personnel tasked with earth shattering, world saving responsibilities chasing around after a tiny puppy with the single focus of improving her circumstance. With the Brewer's story, you have a bunch of grown men, basically isolated from us regular folks, who are paid astronomical amounts of money to play a kids game on the world's stage. But, a scruffy puppy quickly returned them to a place we've all been - back to when a puppy's kiss made us smile. The older I get, the more important little things like that are to me.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I saw the story yesterday- thought it was pretty cool that everyone in the organization was interested in giving the pup a home:smile2:

5. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    awe I love stories like this. It reminds me so much of the Sochi story about the skier bringing home a bunch of pups, keeping one himself and his family members and friends taking the others. These were puppies that he found on the side of the road just hanging out. :eek:

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
  7. JLSOhio51

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio

Thanks for posting the link to the pics. I had seen some of them but not all of them. One of the articles I read previously said that at his vet check, there was evidence that Hank had possibly been hit by a car but that there was no concern for lasting problems. I just can't get enough of this story.

8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
  9. JLSOhio51

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I am truly loving this whole Hank the mascot thing. For those that know anything about the Milwaukee Brewers, you know that the team has sausage mascots that race around at home games during the season. The "sausages" are 5 people dressed up in costumes who race around the field at each game. I am not crazy about costumed mascots, and I think the Milwaukee sausages are really, really stupid. But, there is a short video clip on the Brewer's web page that is really neat. Hank is evidently going to be added to the sausage race. The have Hank dressed up in one of those hot dog costumes like they use for the annual dachshund race, and he's running with the sausages. Now that is cool. Like I said, I'm loving this Hank the mascot thing!