Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Performance Sports > Obedience
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:34 AM

Default Rally collar?

What kind of collar can you have for Rally Novice A? I see some things indicating chain/slip/martingale OK and others saying flat buckle.

I want to work with Melli in our regular class with the same collar I would compete with and not sure which to use.

Also, Can I leave on her collar with tags if she is worked on a second collar like a martingale or additional buckle collar? Or is the penalty for collar tags only in obedience?

Thanks. I have my eye on a couple events to try out this summer if we can step it up in class and then work on a few privates focusing just on Rally.
Aussies at the Bridge - Quasar (blue merle), Holly (black tri), & Mayson (red tri)
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:23 PM

If you are competing in AKC, no tags are allowed on the collar. I used a martingale collar, when I was doing rally. They are good for shelties, because they tighten when there is pressure and don't slip off as easily as a regular buckle collar.
Angel (1996-2010)
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:59 PM

I work Edan on a flat buckle collar for Rally but you can use a chain (like you'd use for the show ring), martingale, or flat buckle. No dangling tags are permitted for AKC or WCRL (Word Cynosport Rally League - formerly APDT).
Old Feb 15, 2014, 01:04 PM

Exactly. I was hoping a martingale was allowed because that is about the only thing she can't Houdini out of. We have one we use for training and some general walking. We have a harness for other situations of general walking (like for hikes or around super busy city streets).

Her regular collar and tags are easy to remove slipping over the head and also to unclip the tags from the collar as they are on a clip not ring.

I will continue to work with her on the martingale and if/when we get to competition I will just remove the regular collar shortly before the ring. It's not like it's a huge amount of time you are competing.

Thanks for the answer. She does well on the martingale more for slippage than for correction with that huge ruff of hers.
Aussies at the Bridge - Quasar (blue merle), Holly (black tri), & Mayson (red tri)