Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > General Dog Chat
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:32 PM

Default What is a breeder?

A breeder posted this on a FB page I'm on. Nothing against the wonderful friends you have found in rescues. But this sums up why I get from a BREEDER:

What is a Breeder?

". . .A Breeder (with a capital B) is one who thirsts for knowledge and never really knows it all, one who wrestles with decisions of conscience, Convenience, and commitment. A Breeder is one who sacrifices personal interests, finances, time, friendships, fancy furniture, and deep pile carpeting! She gives up the dreams of a long, luxurious cruise in favor of turning that all important show into this years "vacation".

The Breeder goes without sleep (but never without coffee - in hours spent planning a breeding or watching anxiously over the birth process, and afterwards, over every little sneeze, wiggle or cry.

The Breeder skips dinner parties because that litter is due or the babies have to be fed at eight. She disregards birth fluids and puts mouth to mouth to save a gasping newborn, literally blowing life into a tiny, helpless creature that may be the culmination of a lifetime of dreams. A Breeders lap is a marvelous place where generations of proud and noble champions once snoozed. A Breeders hands are strong and firm and often soiled, but ever so gentle and sensitive to the thrusts of a puppy's wet nose. A Breeders back and knees are usually arthritic from stooping, bending, and sitting in the birthing box, but are strong enough to enable the breeder to show the next choice pup to a Championship.

A Breeders shoulders are stooped and often heaped with abuse from competitors, but they're wide enough to support the weight of a thousand defeats and frustrations. A Breeders arms are always able to wield a mop, support an armful of puppies, or lend a helping hand to a newcomer. A Breeders ears are wondrous things, sometimes red (from being talked about) or strangely shaped (from being pressed against a phone receiver), often deaf to criticism, yet always fine-tuned to the whimper of a sick puppy.

A Breeders eyes are blurred from pedigree research and sometimes blind to her own dog's faults, but they are ever so keen to the competitions faults and are always searching for the perfect specimen. A Breeders brain is foggy on faces, but it can recall pedigrees faster than an IBM computer. It's so full of knowledge that sometimes it blows a fuse: it catalogues thousands of good bonings, fine ears, and perfect heads... And buries in the soul the failures and the ones that didn't turn out.

The Breeders heart is often broken, but it beats strongly with hope everlasting... and it's always in the right place! Oh, yes, there are breeders, and then, there are BREEDERS!!. . ."

Author unknown
Aberdale's Unforgettable CGN NTD (Natalie)
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:50 PM

This is excellent, Ronna, and so very true. Thank you for posting it!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:00 PM

I agree. And that goes for cats, llamas, horses, rabbits, and on and on.

And yes, finally, for dog #6, I chose a Breeder exactly for this reason.
Shaman Von Raesfeld - GSD Mix 02/06/11-- Aussies at Bridge: Quasar, Holly, & Mayson
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:19 PM

I just posted that to my breeders FB page. He and his partner are some of the really good ones out there and really care not just about the dogs they breed for show, but for all the dogs they breed.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:45 PM

Yes, it is clear they care about the whole sport/hobby/human-pet bond.

I agree.
Shaman Von Raesfeld - GSD Mix 02/06/11-- Aussies at Bridge: Quasar, Holly, & Mayson
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:53 PM

That is a brilliant summary of a Breeder. If only people realised the difference between those who deserve the title and those who primary interest is making money from dogs.

Anyone can breed dogs but it takes real dedication to be a Dog Breeder.