Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shaded sable with raccoon eyes

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by RileyPuppy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    You're pup is absolutely darling! I don't think dad is 100% Sheltie either. Have fun with your new cutie!

2. granite

granite Forums Sage

Apr 6, 2008
    earth
    Cute puppy, love all of your pictures! It will be interesting to see how his coloring changes as he grows into his adult coat. Be prepared for that to be a 3 year journey!

3. RileyPuppy

RileyPuppy Forums Regular

Oct 20, 2011
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Thanks everyone! We just adore Riley whether he's 100% sheltie or not :biggrin2:

His coloring has been changing a lot. We didn't know he had raccoon eyes when we first got him. They developed and got very prominent. His head has gotten much more sable/brown since we got him and his cheeks are a nice golden sable now. I suspect that the black on his nose/muzzle will continue to decrease, but won't entirely go away.

I did order a DNA test kit specifically for determining if he's a purebred sheltie or not. In 2-3 weeks, we'll know for sure! I'd be interested to know what breed may be the cause of his mask. My guess is that his dad is at least 75% sheltie, if not more. His mom is registered 100% sheltie, so there's no doubt there. The only thing that seems non-sheltie is his coloring.

I will definitely post the results!

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I am placing my bet on beagle :wink2:

5. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Oh... That's a good one. The head shape and ear set are definitely more beagle than Sheltie. I'll throw my hat in with that.

6. RileyPuppy

Oct 20, 2011
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    If we're making bets, I guess I'll go with Jack Russell Terrier.

I'm also not entirely convinced that there's another breed besides sheltie in there, but we'll see. I was inspecting him today and I noticed some black on him is true black and not a black overlay... hmm...

7. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    We are guessing Aussie or Corgi.

( I agree with you that the father is at least 75% sheltie, mother 100% sheltie)

Riley is a cutie that's 100% for sure!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  8. RileyPuppy

Oct 20, 2011
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Great guesses! I see those as possibilities too, although I think a Corgi might be more likely than Aussie. Aussies are pretty big. I found pictures of nearly identical facial coloring in both breeds.

Riley's dad, Shadow, is a mere 15 lbs. Although his mom is only 17 lbs. I think a smaller dog breed would be most likely.

9. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    This is common when you breed a sable to a bi-factored tri colored sheltie. You get a smutty color around the eyes and down the muzzle. I will say, I have never seen it to this degree, and like all of you, am interested in the results of the DNA. In the case of the bi-factoring smudge, just like the owner said, it seems to develope as the dog gets older.

10. Petitina

Petitina Forums Regular

Sep 14, 2011
    CO
    What a cutie! Call me crazy, but I'd guess sheltie spaniel mix for the father. I would also say your pup is at least 75% sheltie. What's his personality like?

I would take the genetic tests with a bit of a grain of salt - they're still not perfect and unlikely ever will be. But they're still lots of fun!