Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How dark could Ida's fur get?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Tabitha, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Ida has gradualy been getting darker and darker as the months have gone by and I was wondering how dark you thought she may get? I know her fur will not reach it's full maturity until she's 2-3 years, but I just wanted hear your thoughts on this. All of the top of Ida's tail has a black overlay of fur. It's the same on her solders, but it seems to be spreading all over her body. You can't see the overlay on her body on camera, it's very faint but it's there. Here is a side view and back view.

Ida's dam appears to be the result of a tri or bi and sable, and her sire, I think, is the result of two white factored sables (note the odd white markings on his side).

2. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
  3. Han&Bon

Han&Bon Forums Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    My Bon has similar colouring and I haven't noticed much change from 9 to 12 months apart from definitely fluff increase. She has a big black splotch at the top of her tail as well. She sort of has dark guard hairs all over but they aren't really noticable. Her mum was mahogany sable and dad was sable. Her half sister is from two mahogany's and from a puppy you could really tell she was going to be quite dark.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I'll go with pretty dark.....

Cranberry at 8-9 months

and another pic

he changed colors a lot growing up:winkgrin:

also, I'd like to see some more pix of the dad- he almost looks smerley in that pic...................:pop

5. Tabitha

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Ok, I moved all of Ida's pix to a seperate folder so again here is her side and back. Here are all her pix (dam and sire are at the bottom).

6. Two&Counting

Two&Counting Forums Regular

Nov 15, 2011
    Hudsonville, mi
    Going to be a beautiful sable!

I have always owned sables - love their coloring! Ida looks like she is going to get a beautiful sable "blanket" - don't know if that is the correct term, but that is what I call it.

Both of my current fur-kids are sables, and although they started out with just darker highlights, 4yr old Aili is getting very dark. And it looks like 2yr old Doolie is not far behind.

Ida is just beautiful!

Attached Files:

7. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Sables can go pretty dark and will change over time. But, some also stay light (red) My guess is she'll go darker, but it won't be extremely dark. You can usually tell the foundations of their coat early on. This is a picture of my girl when she was 8 weeks old: http://local.aaca.org/westernpa/puppy/images/img_3406.jpg
    You can easily tell she's going to be a dark sheltie. She's dark, but no where near as dark as my male sheltie who lives with my parents: http://local.aaca.org/westernpa/puppy2/images/img_3933.jpg

they're all sables, just some sables are red sable and some are medium colored and some are dark dark.

My guess is Ida will be a medium colored sable

8. Tabitha

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Here's Ida at 5 weeks old.

9. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I coudn't find the photo of her sire but given the coloring of her dam and the dark fur near the top of her ruff and tail, I'd say there is a very good likely hood that she will be a shaded sable. She'll go darker with age.

Ginny's Sire was fairly light and her dam was shaded. Ginny was the prettiest butterscotch color when she was a pup, but she darkened considerable as she got older. Don't get me wrong, I still love her coloring, but it would have been interesting to see what the butterscotch looked when she matured, if it had stayed.

https://picasaweb.google.com/OntarioSheltie/Ginny?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbF5Oq0wPGbfw#5410663223774098914

https://picasaweb.google.com/OntarioSheltie/Ginny?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbF5Oq0wPGbfw#5420817504294426850

https://picasaweb.google.com/OntarioSheltie/Ginny?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbF5Oq0wPGbfw#5486392371850910322

10. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    In those bath pics of Ginny as a puppy, you can see those darker guard hairs peeking through. I love her coloring! It looks like she has low-lights!