Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

lumpy face from teething?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Hannah, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Today my 16 week old has a really strange looking bulged face. I'm assuming this is a result of her teething, but I never noticed anything like this with my other sheltie when she was the same age. The whole length of her nose seems quite swollen. To me she looks dramatically different, probably not to anyone else though... she still looks like a sheltie! I'm just hoping for some reassurance this is a normal part of teething. Sorry, I probably sound really daft, but haven't encountered this before :smile2:

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    To be honest I haven't noticed swelling in the face with the pups I have had when they were teething...but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Is there any possibility that she got stung by a bee or something? Once in a while a pup's baby tooth doesn't fall out when the adult tooth comes in and this can cause inflammation in the gum (had this happen with one of my past pups)...just trying to think of other reasons for the swollen face. Is there any improvement since you first posted?

Trini

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    It just doesn't sound normal to me. I'm a bit paranoid, so if I were you, I would take her to the vet. It's probably not a big deal, but just to be on the safe side...

Hopefully people who have dealt with more puppies will chime in. So far I've only had one that I was 100% responsible for.

4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Fillion never had any swelling when teething. When Koko's face swelled up recently I thought he got bit but it was abscessed teeth. I'm with Jess--if its not down in 24 hrs I'd be at the vet.

5. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    I've actually just come back from seeing the after hours vet (its after 11:30pm here). Pepper just became more and more listless as the night went on and I was getting really worried as the vet was hard to get hold of (small country town with one vet on duty after hours). He said it was some kind of allergic reaction, probably the result of some kind of insect bite, and gave her an antihistamine shot. I'll take her back tomorrow if there's no improvement. I'm so grateful for all your replies which pointed to it being something other than a teething issue!

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I will pray for her -- they show us Americans programs on just how many things in Australia can and do try to kill you (or your dog!). Hoping it was a minor creepy thing and not a deadly creepy thing.

7. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    My thoughts, exactly. That is how Mally was when he was stung by a bee.
    We took Mally to the vet. Sounds like a vet visit is in order here, as well.
    Please let us know how the pup is doing. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  8. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Sorry I missed this post, but am glad you took her to the vet. They gave our Mally an antihistamine when he was stung by a bee. He was fine after that.

Praying your little Pepper gets better as quickly as Mally did.

Please continue to update us on how she is doing. Thanks.

9. yannao

yannao Forums Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Virginia
    This literally just happened to my pup a week ago. The swelling wasn't really like a bump, but rather, it looked like his entire snout was subtly different somehow. Kind of like... a lack of definition, if that makes sense.

This actually followed a bout of vomiting the night before, and was followed by a swelling of the white area of his left eye (scleritis). The vet had never seen it before apparently. But it was most likely a topical allergy, due to something he touched, rather than ate.

After two days of over the counter benadryl and a week of prescription antibacterial and steroid eye drop it was all clear. Honestly, the eye part was the most worrisome. I don't know if it will progress that way for your pup, but just in case, I thought I'd share and let you know.

Hope your furbaby feels well soon! - Anna

10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I am really glad you took Pepper to the vets...hopefully the antihistamine shot will do the trick and she will be fine.

Trini