Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Senstive Stomach food

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by jesshall, Apr 6, 2012.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Just curious where in SC you are. I only ask because we lived in Charleston for several years and found a couple good vets I'd be happy to recommend in case you're in that area. I also have friends throughout SC and would be happy to ask around for recommendations.

When my girl was a puppy she would have random, and frequent bouts of diarrhea. Sometimes half her stool would be normal and then the end would be liquid. I switched her food a couple times and eventually landed on California Natural (a limited ingredient food). The issues disappeared completely. I'm still not 100% sure what the issue was, but I'm thinking it was a chicken allergy. She is now 2 years old and the allergy has disappeared and is totally fine.

I probably wouldn't go the California Natural route again because the company has been bought out by Proctor and Gamble and I'm not comfortable with a large company owning them, but I would definitely try some of the other foods out there to try to determine what is causing the flare ups.

2. jesshall

jesshall Forums Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Agawam, MA
    We do not live in SC anymore I guess I should update my info we moved to Mass last August. I loved my vet in SC I guess sometimes you have to try more than one.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    There may be some other members of the forum who live in Massachusetts who can chime in.

But yes, I totally agree! When we were in Charleston we saw 3 different vets in a total of 3 years before we found one we liked.

4. jesshall

jesshall Forums Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Agawam, MA
    Yeah, I guess it couldn't hurt to post a thread and see if I get anywhere I am also really close to the CT border. The big MA city I am near is Springfield and the big CT city (which is about 30mins away) is Hartford.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Sorry for getting back to you so late....You never did say what food you are currently feeding. So I will chime in my some ideas.....

There are number of options for you

- Grain Fee is good for a starting point
    - I would also eliminate any foods that have chicken as the main source of protein.
    - Introducing probiotics into the diet would be a good thing. Even a tablespoon of plain, unsweetended yoghuort per day would help.
    - also recommend grain-free, gluten-free treets
    - also recommend adding pumpkin to the diet. A tablespoon per day of raw pumpkin (can be canned, but without additives of any kind).

That being said, you mentioned vomitting blood, and this stricks me as more than just food sensitivity. Perhaps you need a second vet opinion?