Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Phooee What now???

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Hurtseverywhere, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    Well I am not a very happy Camper, as most of you know I am a Age Group triathlete, yesterday during a run I got a sudden sharp pain in my calf that stopped me dead in my tracks, saw Sports doc this morning diagnosed with a moderate calf strain recommendation rest , & ice ,no running.

Problem is I have a trial this weekend 10 Runs total 7 with storm and 3 with Cosmo both need 1 Q to move into masters which is where I would like to be by regionals in a month, after much serious discussion with Sports Doc
    he said Maybe if I tape really really well and use my brace I might be able to try it but his recommendation was rest to avoid any possible further damage. Both my alternate handlers that she has worked with before are off doing USDAA in the states this weekend so its me or the big blue sea as far as handlers go.

Options: 1: tape up really well slap on my brace and try it out to see how it goes and hopefully not damage it any further.
    2: maybe try and get my wife to run them she has practiced with a bit Slow Cosmo last summer at a starters level but I dought she could even stay with Stormy and so does she and she has never run anything harder then a most basic course before.
    3 walk away and pass up the $200 dollars in trial fees I have already paid and won't be able to get back when both my dogs are fit health and raring to go I might add.

Right now I am seriously leaning to option 1 Myself or maybe there is a very very slight possibility I might be able to find someone else I know that she has never run with to try a few runs at the trial with her.

Ho Humm decisions Decisions, this is almost like trying to make the rain call only this time its the handler that' Gimpy and might get hurt more.

Will Let you know how it goes anyway.

2. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    As tempting as it is I think it might be a case of biting the bullet and missing the trial rather than make yourself worse and perhaps be off longer:(

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I would do #1. Because I am stubborn... and have a ridiculously high tolerance for pain. And especially if it would be $200 down the drain!

I posted about it in the Chitchat section, but back in February I got terrible shin splints in my left leg at a flyball tournament. So bad, that I thought it was a stress fracture (it wasn't). Of course, there was another tournament coming up a couple weeks later... but again, I'm stubborn, so I did the tournament. I went prepared with ice packs and calf sleeves (for compression). I survived. Barely. I was in a lot of pain, but thankfully it didn't continue for days after the tournament. I avoided running when I could, but when it came down to things I felt that I couldn't sit out of, I pushed through. My leg still isn't 100%. We had a flyball tournament this past weekend, and it didn't bother me until the very end of the last day.

Since you just injured it, it's a tough call. I was lucky enough to get a few weeks of rest. Sometimes you just have to listen to your body, and not ignore it (like me). You really do risk prolonging the recovery time by continuing to run on it. A few weeks can easily turn into a few months! Whatever option you choose, I wish you luck!

4. Hurtseverywhere

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    Yea Me too I am kinda stubborn and usually grin a bare it the funny part is after I did it like immediately I went a swam 2000M and was fine. I bought some more KT Tape and new compresson sleeves as well today maybe a couple of days of RICE will be enough to at least give it a shot, I was talking to a lady I have trained with that will be at the trial and runs 2 BC's in advanced, She knows storm and said she might be able to help out if needed but then she will be running 3 runs every advance round, I think I will at least try the steeplechase run first thing in the morning and that will give me a idea wether I will be able to do it or not.

5. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I wish you luck in whatever decision you make, you push too hard and you run the risk of permanent injury, just be careful in whatever you do. When all is said and done you will pick what works best for you, I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a little prayer . . . good luck. :fl

6. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Phooee what now?????????

What is more important the "Q" or your health? You risk hurting yourself more.

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    At a trial in February, first run of the day on Sunday, I got a MAJOR cramp in my left calf doing nothing fancier than a 180 with a front cross to weaves; the cramp occurred during the front cross. I tried to push on but I could bearly put my left foot down and Edan knew something wasn't right and was confused since I was limping beside him rather than running smoothly.

After about 15 minutes when the cramp didn't loosen, we decided to pack up and head home. It was one of the hardest choices I could have made. (I wanted my husband to run the dogs the remainder of the day and he insisted on going home to properly care for it with ice, etc.)

The cramp lasted almost 2 weeks before completely subsiding and needed a combination of massage therapy, magnesium and potassium to correct.

The moral of this tale is, think carefully before you try to compete injured. If you do more damage to yourself you may not even be able to to compete in regionals. Your dogs may not perform up to their normal standard because you won't be running normally, even with the bandages and brace.

Sure, it stinks to loose $200, we've all been there done that. It will be worse if you go, try to run and further injure yourself with no guarantee you are going to get those lone Qs you are after. It's a sport and no matter how competitive and/or stubborn many of us can be it's simply NOT worth risking our health or the health of our dogs. I'm sorry but I think your options are find someone else to run your dogs or pull out.

8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    If it were me, I would wrap it up and do a dry run in the yard (sans dog). Any pain and I wouldn't even go to the trial. If you're there, you will be tempted. The option of having someone else run her is a good one as long as you are ok with it. To me, the fun part of the sport is working with my dog. I'm not interested in having someone else run her.

9. Hurtseverywhere

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    Thanks all for your concerns, it's actually quite a bit better today can do stairs and do light jog with no pain with comp sleeves on but haven't tried anything with power. hopefully it will be even better by morning after icing & heat and rolling tonight.

10. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Sounds like you are in great shape and healing quickly. I'll bet you'll be OK to do at least a few of your runs. Take care and good luck!!