Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Edan not eating... sort of

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Silaria, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Unfortunately, if I have to take him to the vet again, that sort of diet and life-long medication is the next step. It's something I'm really trying to avoid because I'd prefer not to feed my dog junk. I'll feed RAW first. (And the reason I don't consider RAW at this point is I have no way to store it; no where to a freezer.)

2. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    This new dog food is not fun at all. It is canned, but it is not wet. It's very dry and has no juices or water in it like a normal can food does. When I opened the can the first thing I thought of was refried beans, because that is exactly what it looks like. Because it is canned that means I'm taking special care with his teeth as well. I'm very shortly going to start brushing his teeth, and buy some of the dental stuff you add to their water like Ann has suggested a few times. Purina also makes a special dog treat for dogs with stomach problems. They are called "Gentle Snackers". Smudge gets one or two after every meal. They are a crunchy treat.

I can't do raw. It caused a horrible argument at our house. I was told I would have to feed Smudge outside if I was going to do raw. Sorry, but I'm not standing outside in pouring rain or 20 degree weather, and I'd rather Smudge didn't as well. :dead:

3. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Do you just have the one dog? Assuming it's a regular Sheltie, say 20 lbs, you would only be feeding half a pound a day, if that. The math works out to 2-3% of the ideal body weight. I buy chicken in ten pound bags, one of those would last you three weeks. One tray of thighs would last more than a week, and not take up too much space. My landlord and I did buy a small chest freezer, but we are feeding eight, with two big dogs (45 and 60 pounds). And actually, the 45 pound dog eats more than double what the 60 pound dog eats. Pig. :smile2:

4. Katherine

Katherine Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Charleston SC
    I'm so sorry to hear that Edan has recurring issues. I take it from what you didn't say that he was better over the weekend and into today ?

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I'm sorry Edan hasn't gotten any better.

Have you tried California Natural? Bailey was having loose stool when she was 4 months old. It was at the point where she was going to have to be on Prescription Diet for the rest of her life. Then I tried CN and it did the trick. She did have problems with the Chicken and Rice brand. I think she is allergic chicken. She currently eats Lamb and Rice.

California Natural has limited ingredients and is made for dogs with allergies and digestive issues. It has done wonders for Bailey.

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/

I hope Edan feels better soon and you find the right food for him.

6. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Something to keep in mind if I run out of options. I'd need to do more research to make sure I'm feeding a healthy, balanced diet. Thanks for the information.

Well, he stopped throwing up but he's eating on his own schedule. Right now I'm not too concerned about that because at least he's eating.

It's not so much that he hasn't gotten any better, is that he's better for only about 3 weeks then it seems to go south again. The BB food we are giving him now, Chicken and Brown Rice formula, is not to far off from the original Eagle Pack Holistic I was feeding him in January before all this started. The ingredients in the BB seem to be a bit better.

I'll keep the California Natural in mind, though. The places local to me that carry it aren't very convenient to get to but I'd go out of my way if it means Edan's health.

7. Phebe*DD

Phebe*DD Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I'm so sorry to hear that Edan is having problems again. I know you'll stay on top of this and find a solution that works for him, but I also know it isn't any fun getting to that.

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Finally chiming in here....I don't know how I missed this thread....and now skimming through 7 pages of posts to the thread.....I'm all tangled up in what's been done, not done.

First off - how old is Edan again? And why did you switch him off the Eagle Pack in the first place?

What formula of Eagle Pack was he on? Was it poultry based (I know that's what you switched him to)

Is the vomit bile or solid? How soon after he "eats" does it occur?

Has the vet checked his mouth, teeth, jaw for any swelling? Does he eat treats readily or does he avoid those too - and what kind of treats (soft or hard)

Did the diarrehea start AFTER all the various food transitions or before?

I'm asking only to drill down on what might be due to all the food swaps vs. what might be a true physiological issue.

I do know that pups in their teenage years often go through a food rejection phase.

Bacca did it too, but I don't know if that was because his age or because of his liver/thyroid issues. All I know is that he went off his food for months and wouldn't eat.

And now, he scarfs his food (btw - he's on a medium level protein, grain-free diet called Now! I mix with 1 tbsp of Merricks canned Thanksgiving Day Dinner, and he now scarfs his food). Stools firm, no vomiting and his blood work checks out fine now (along with his meds).

Do consider getting his bloodwork done again. This time with proper fasting beforehand. You want them to check his Bile Acids, ALS/ALT levels. I also remember the vet saying something about checking for bacteria in the bowels - but I don't recall if this was a side-effect or a root cause.

Take care
    Barb

9. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    OK. I'm going to take these one at a time and hopefully it will make it a bit clearer.

Edan is 3.5.

I wanted to try him on a high protein food because of the agility.

The original formula was Chicken and Rice

Both.
    Sometimes it starts out as solid and ends up as bile once his stomach is empty.
    Sometimes its sort of white and foamy.
    Sometimes its bile with a little bit of food.

This varies. Usually a few hours. At the height of the problem, back in February, it was happening within an hour or less of eating.

Sometimes we will go for a few weeks with no vomiting then he'll throw up once and be fine for another week or so.

Has the vet checked his mouth, teeth, jaw for any swelling? Does he eat treats readily or does he avoid those too - and what kind of treats (soft or hard)

When we make a hard transition on the food, we expect the diarrhea. It usually only lasts one day and we have solid stools again. All the foods we've moved him to have similar proteins, poultry/fowl, so that clears up quickly.

On the higher protein foods, he'd have loose stool, not quite diarrhea, once every 5-7 days or so. (Another reason I wanted him off of it.)

He's definitely not a teen but I wouldn't be surprised if he's going through another phase of making life difficult since he doesn't want to listen to even some basic commands, like come.

The rejection of the Eagle Pack Holistic I have to think is somewhat psychological since when this this mess was at its worse we were mixing TOTW with Eagle Pack Holistic's Chicken and Rice. After the constant, gassy, throwing up and loose stools, he flat out refused to eat the Holistic Chicken and Rice formula even with the TOTW removed. He actually went about 4 days without eating because he would NOT touch the food. You could hear that he was hungry because his stomach was rumbling loudly.

Even though our vet advised against changing foods, out of desperation we purchased the Duck formula of the Eagle Pack Holistic and he devoured that. We didn't over feed him, in fact we gave him only 1/4 scoop. After about 2 weeks he refused to eat that food also.

Then we switched to the BB "Blue Wilderness" (Chicken and Turkey) brand which he LOVED but I wasn't loving the gas it was giving him. I was getting very concerned about him developing a case of Bloat from all the gas. My Malamute had a case of Bloat and we were VERY lucky her stomach and intestines didn't knot of from it. It was the WORST thing I ever experienced to come home from shopping (I was gone about 2 hours after dinner) to her loud cries of pain and not knowing what was wrong. I was NOT going to risk that with Edan.

It was that fear that caused me to move to BB Chicken and Brown Rice formula. I was going to slowly cut it over by mixing it with the Wilderness but a night of him doing nothing but throwing up - first some (NEVER all) undigested food then bile - on Thursday made me opt to just cut out the Wilderness entirely.

We had a minor issue of him vomiting on Saturday morning, bile with just a little undigested food, but no vomiting since then.

From the quick removal of the Blue Wilderness, we had 1 day of loose stool from him and that was yesterday morning and during the afternoon while we were at work. By Monday night things were firming up again.

I want to see if things start to settle down now before doing anything else. We are pretty much back were we started, a Chicken and Rice formula - though with a different brand.

He's eating fairly regularly and not scarfing his food anywhere near as fast as he was prior to getting sick. He wants to eat at roughly 6:30 AM and PM; about 12 hours apart. I'm OK with that as long as he's eating.

If this continues, it will be back to the vet and we go from there.

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I do recall the rejection of food by Bacca as well. We were transitioning to new food around the time that he got sick for other reasons, and then he suddenly flat out rejected the new food altogether - somehomw made some association with his illness and the food. I had to switch him to another food (from Orijen to Horizon Legacy) which he finally accepted. But then had to take him off high protein altogether because of his ALS/ALT levels. He's now on grain-free NOW! at 24% protein (Adult Maintenance).

Best of luck with you both! It's so horrible when these things happen....inconclusive diagnoses, they start to get better and you think everything is fine, then they slip again. More tests, etc.